Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: foolkath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19372  
Subject: sleeping in Date: 3/31/2006 6:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does anyone else have difficulty sleeping in right after retirement? I find I still get up at the same time I did for work.

How do you spend your mornings?

Print the post Back To Top
Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10334 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 3/31/2006 8:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I was hoping to sleep until at least 7:30 this morning, but DW set the alarm for 6:00 in order to get ready for various things. She woke up at 5:58, but didn't turn off the alarm because she was afraid she would wake me up. Duh!

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10335 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 3/31/2006 9:05 AM
I can't sleep in either. I wake up around 5 and watch CNBC and/or Don Imus until I'm fully awake. I read a couple newspapers online before breakfast. Later I spend an hour or two on investments. Then it's golf in the summer and reading or movies in the winter.

One nice thing about retirement. If I get tired later in the day, I can catch a quick catnap.

Author: ImAGolfer Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10336 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 3/31/2006 1:48 PM
How do you spend your mornings?

I'm usually over at the golf course thumping balls by 7:00 AM. If it's not a golf day I'm at the gym by 8:00 AM.

Regards,

ImAGolfer (retired '03)

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10337 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 3/31/2006 4:10 PM
Recommendations: 2
I never got used to getting up early for work. Since I retired I find that my normal cycle is to go to sleep between midnight and 1 am and wake up between 8 and 9 am. Much better.

--fleg

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10338 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 3/31/2006 4:26 PM
Recommendations: 4
I've got my alarm set for 0600 Hours. That's when this diabetic tests his glucose level. Ouch.
Then I sink back into sleep until my DW wakes me with breakfast around 0900.

For the past few mornings I've been awakened by telemarketing calls from MCI, before 0830! When I notice the caller ID, I just turn over and go back to sleep.
This morning they called three times before 0830!
They finally got me to answer. Poor caller didn't get to say much, though.
I think I spoke only four sentences, but managed to fit in the F-word at least six times!

They're going to take me off the call list.

Regards,

Grumpy

Author: CABob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10339 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 3/31/2006 6:00 PM
I've been retired since 2002 and am still getting up about the same time as before (5:00 to 5:30). Mornings are about the same as before except at a more leisurely pace and except for going to wherever I used to go. Includes coffee, newspaper, and some TV. I do frequently take a PM nap however.

Bob

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10340 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 3/31/2006 6:17 PM
Recommendations: 1
I've been retired since 2002 and am still getting up about the same time as before (5:00 to 5:30).

All you people are a bunch of very sick puppies. I still get up around 7:00, but earlier than that is just sick.

cliff

Author: mendomann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10341 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 3/31/2006 6:29 PM
I never set my alarm except to wake up for an early tee time. I usually stay up until 12:00am-1:00am reading. I wake up usually between 8:00am-9:00am and read the paper as I am eating breakfast. If I get tired later in the day I will take a nap. This retired life is great!

Mendo (retired 1995)

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10342 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 4/1/2006 5:18 AM
Recommendations: 5
I normally get up between 4 and 5 AM. Make a cup of coffee and head for the computer. I love getting up early - the house is quiet, and I have a couple of hours to myself. I can read, answer e-mail, check in at TMF.

By the time the sun comes up, I'm ready for the day. I garden early, especially in the hot summer. By early afternoon, I've done my housekeeping, shopping, and usually the cooking, too.

The downside is that whatever doesn't get done by late afternoon doesn't get done. I'm happy that our cable box has DVR, so I can record a couple of the TV shows people talk about that I'd normally just sleep through - boy, I haven't been missing much all these years.

I usually turn in by 9 or 10 PM. Have just enough time to read a page or two before my eyes are shutting.

We've been retired for about 10 years. We're always busy (5 of our 6 grandkids live nearby and we see them all the time). We babysit a lot and do things with the kids and grandkids. Our house and property are huge, and we generally do all our own maintenance. We rarely eat out - I love to cook for a crowd, and during these winter months when I can't get out in the garden, I've been writing a cookbook.

I've never understood why anyone would play golf, or sit around a table and play cards or other games, when there are so many constructive or creative things to do either alone or with other people.

My idea of the perfect retirement is to surround myself with people I love and to fill my days improving my home and community, teaching my offspring whatever I can about enjoying life, and using my mind as long as I can before my body fails and my brain melts down.

There's definitely something to be said for "early to bed and early to rise"

Trini

Author: jjbklb Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10343 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 4/1/2006 9:02 AM
I've been retired since 2003.I have always had trouble sleeping thru the night.Because of this,I make it a point never to take a nap.DW works 3 days a week.She'll nap on the couch for 1 to 2 hours at night,then would like to watch the mono-log on the tonight show.
Though I try to be in bed by 11pm,I can't sleep with the TV on in the other room.Even if I did,I'd wake up when my wife comes to bed.It always takes my an hour or so to get back to sleep.

DW likes to set the alarm early,even on her off-days.When the alarm goes off,she'll hit the snooze button or turn the alarm off.She likes the feeling of being able to go back to sleep.

The problem is that if I was lucky enough to be asleep when the alarm went off,I never get back to sleep.

Grumble...mumble.....gripe.......grouse....

Author: zyaw Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10344 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 4/3/2006 5:19 PM
Some are morning people and a few of us are night people.
I never wake up until 9:00 AM unless I set an alarm or my wife calls me. She gets up between 6 & 7 AM

Author: wcfenton Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10345 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 4/4/2006 2:06 AM
I used to go to bed about 9:00 or 10:00 PM when I was still in the
Navy. When I retired, I swore that I would never use another alarm clock as long as I lived. Right! It didn't work that way being a person still has obligations that may well begin sometime in the morning. It was a good thought anyway!!

Anyway...I slowly, over the years since retiremnet, have been gettiing up a little later each year. From 5:30 to my current 7:30 has only taken roughly 15 years. Plus I don't feel guilty anymore.

My current problem is getting to sleep at night that I'm fighting. I go to bed tired, roll around for about an hour or hour and a half and then get up. I usually go on the computer for another hour or more before I can stagger back to bed and fall asleep. I got a prescription for Ambien from my Doctor that helps in the far end when I actually go to sleep, but I still get up for awhile like I did without the pill. Crazy! Anyone else have this type of problem?

Regards,
Bill

Author: jjbklb Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10346 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 4/4/2006 8:19 AM
.."My current problem is getting to sleep at night that I'm fighting. I go to bed tired, roll around for about an hour or hour and a half and then get up. I usually go on the computer for another hour or more before I can stagger back to bed and fall asleep. I got a prescription for Ambien from my Doctor that helps in the far end when I actually go to sleep, but I still get up for awhile like I did without the pill. Crazy! Anyone else have this type of problem?

Regards,
Bill......."

This could have been written by me.The sound generator that mimics ocean waves has sometimes helped me.I try not to take ambien more than once or twice a week.If I need something,I'll opt for over-the-counter melatonin (3mg).

Author: theHedgehog Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10347 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 4/4/2006 9:25 AM
I got a prescription for Ambien from my Doctor that helps in the far end when I actually go to sleep, but I still get up for awhile like I did without the pill. Crazy! Anyone else have this type of problem?

Hi Bill,

Yes. My sleep is totally broken. Are you taking any painkillers? I have been on tramadol for years, and that was waking me up, so years ago they put me on ambien. Right now, I'm trying to get off of ambien. It's very difficult. Ambien is addictive, and some people have problems. Doctor has switched me to Rezorem. I'm taking that with a decreasing dosage of ambien. Currently I'm down to about 2mg of ambien, and hoping to switch to 1mg real soon.

At the moment, I'm going through the ups and downs like you describe. Some nights I can go to sleep. Others I just get up and watch a movie on the couch till I can go to sleep. I wake up multiple times a night, even with the ambien. So, when I fall asleep on the couch like this, then the first time I wake up, I go back to bed.

Email me if I can help you further. Or perhaps post to the disabilities board.

Hedge

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10348 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 4/4/2006 9:33 AM
I got a prescription for Ambien from my Doctor that helps in the far end when I actually go to sleep, but I still get up for awhile like I did without the pill. Crazy! Anyone else have this type of problem?

You might try taking the Ambien earlier -- if you're going to bed at 11, take the Ambien at 10 or 10:30. And you might talk to your doctor; if you're taking 5mg, perhaps he/she would prescribe 10 mg. However, it seems to become ineffective if used regularly.

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10349 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 4/4/2006 9:50 AM
My current problem is getting to sleep at night that I'm fighting. I go to bed tired, roll around for about an hour or hour and a half and then get up. I usually go on the computer for another hour or more before I can stagger back to bed and fall asleep.

I sometimes toss and turn for up to ten seconds before falling into the "sleep of the innocent", or my wife says, the "sleep of the insolent."

cliff

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10350 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 4/4/2006 12:40 PM
Recommendations: 5
I suspect that as you get older, you need less sleep. Don't expect to get 8 hours a night. I seem to get along just fine with about 6 hours of sleep a night.

One way to avoid insomnia is to be very active most of the day. I never heard of a farmer suffering from insomnia.

I can help you out, if you want - - my garden needs tilling and my windows need to be re-puttied and I have a few dead trees that need cutting down <g>

Trini

Author: ImAGolfer Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10351 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 4/4/2006 5:52 PM
Hey Trini. Cool balloons. Congrats.

ImAGolfer

Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10352 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 4/4/2006 6:26 PM
Hey Trini. Cool balloons. Congrats

ImAGolfer
Carol

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10354 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 4/4/2006 8:00 PM
Ah yeah, Trini's got great ballons - but then, she always had:
http://groups.msn.com/GrumpyPix/online.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=343

Congrats!

Grumpy
--ever a Trini fan

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10356 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 4/5/2006 5:57 AM
Grumpy! You saved that!

I think that was taken around 1977, when I was 40-ish. I don't want to destroy that image you have of me in your mind, but you can add about 30 years and and about 30 pounds.

Ah, those were the days!

Trini

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10358 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 4/5/2006 10:53 AM
Trini209: <...I think that was taken around 1977, when I was 40-ish. I don't want to destroy that image you have of me in your mind, but you can add about 30 years and and about 30 pounds...>

Alas, dear Trini, I have seen pictures of you in later years. You still have that wonderfully cute face!

Time marches on for all of us. You've only gained 30 pounds in the past 30 years? I've gained almost a 100 in the past 10!

Regards,

Grumpy
--still a Trini fan

Author: dofitch1 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10367 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 4/7/2006 12:05 AM
I have the problem about getting to sleep at night. Usually because of sore feet making it hard to get to sleep. I have to have them sticking out the end of the bed with no covers or anything touching them. If all else fails, two darvocet and a big scotch and water will usually work eventually, after I've putzed on the computer for a few hours. I rarely get to bed before midnight, and usually it's closer to 3-5am. Thank god I don't have the other problem of your's about getting up at 7:30. ugh. I rarely schedule anything before noon and my wife calls at 11:30 to wake up. I don't hear alarms. On the other hand, if I know I really need up at 7 or whatever, I usually wake up 15 min. before the alarm goes off.
Anyway, I tried ambien and prefer the pills and scotch, but that's just me :( Hal

Author: zyaw Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10368 of 19372
Subject: Re: sleeping in Date: 4/7/2006 1:09 PM
I have a hot tub at 104 degrees on the deck .
!/2 hour in that relaxes the legs so that they dont bother me much at night. I would hate to do without it. Even at zero and 30 mile wind I dashout and clime in. Built 4 foot high wind brake onfor each side of the tub. The cover buffers the out side and the house the other.
Even walkout there through snow in my bare feet. (ensures you don't dodle along).

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement