UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DeltaOne81 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128074  
Subject: Slow running kitchen drain Date: 9/15/2012 10:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We recently installed a garbage disposal (this past Monday) and earlier this evening the kitchen drain was all stopped up. I don't know that the garbage disposal has anything to do with it or not, but it seems quite coincidental if not.

Using the "jam busting wrench" wrench found no resistance and didn't help, so I tried a plunger (vigarously) and got nowhere. I slowly unscrewed the pipe connections under the sink and allowed the water to drain out into bowls. Pulling apart the pipes I found no clogs to be found, perhaps a little gunky but pretty well open drains.

I found a ~6 foot long siphon we have from when we used to have a fishtank and I placed it into the remaining pipe going into the wall. I can see with a flashlight that it is getting past the turn and heading downward, and I can get all 6 feet into the pipe without hitting an obstruction.

We used the siphon to run some liquid plumr down the pipes... After two rounds, totaling about a bottle (including one we let sit for an hour) Ive now gotten to the point where I only have a slow running drain. It takes a good minute or so to back up into the sink and then it does drain slowly. Better, but not good.

I've used the 6 foot siphon as a cleaner to pull a bunch of gunk out of the pipes and I now have my last half bottle of liquid plumr working down the drain. If that doesn't work, what's next? Anything other than calling a plumber?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement