UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 188748  
Subject: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/6/2012 1:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,
My computer has slowed WAY down as far as it's reaction to mouse clicks. I click a link and have to sit back and wait. It's not the Internet speed. It happens in regular programs on my computer also.

I did a virus check and a Malwarebytes test. No problems.

It's as if the memory is being chewed up. How do I check how much memory it being used total and for each program? I used to know in older versions of Windows but I'm not finding it in Win XP.

Thanks,
RB
Print the post Back To Top
Author: john770 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182405 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/6/2012 3:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
CTRL-ALT-DEL will bring upthe Task Manager.

You can see each program running, how much processor percentage its using and how much memory its using.

John

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182406 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/6/2012 4:38 PM
In the good ol' days, a defrag sometimes helped.

Ken

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182407 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/6/2012 4:39 PM
Recommendations: 1
Oh, and, of course, first trying a real reboot after a full shut dowm.

Ken

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182408 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/6/2012 5:47 PM
I meant Windows Vista! Doh!

I'm seeing something that says Physical memory 86%.
Does that mean it's using 86% of my 4GB memory?

With 4GB memory it's unlikely that it's a memory problem, no?

Thanks,
RB

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182409 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/6/2012 5:51 PM
Ken,
My defrag is apparently set for auto for Wednesday's at 1am. But my computer is never on at that time!
But it says the last degrag was last Thursday at 12:34PM.

I have rebooted a number of times. It's been slow for a few days.

RB

Author: mmrmnhrm Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182410 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/6/2012 7:30 PM
On Vista, you can still CTRL-ALT-DEL and choose "Start Task Manager". Go to the 'Processes" tab and it'll show you what's chewing up CPU and memory. On the 'Performance' tab, if you click View>Show Kernel Times, you can see how much CPU Windows itself is using versus programs. Do NOT consider the physical memory numbers to mean much... Total is how much you have actually installed in your box, Cached means what Windows has pre-loaded (both applications and data), and Free is just that. Under Vista and 7, having a low number for Free is perfectly normal.

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182411 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/6/2012 7:48 PM
Well, I guess from what I can tell my memory is okay. Chrome is using the most but not very much.

What else could be causing such slowness?

Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182412 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/6/2012 8:23 PM
Recommendations: 1
RBMunkin,

What else could be causing such slowness?

Bring up the Task Manager, click on View, then Select Columns..., then make sure CPU Time is checked, click OK. Click on the Processes tab, then click on the CPU Time heading to sort by time consumed. Click on the CPU Time heading again if the sort is backwards (if the top number is zero).

That'll show you how much processor time each process currently running has used so far.

Phil

Author: riprock45 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182417 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/7/2012 1:23 PM
Hardwarewise, it might be simple like your CPU cooling fan has quit. Have a look and clear the fluff out of it. I once had a fan come off the chip and it was blowing around loose in the box. The computer slowed into the molasses/January meme.

It could also be a micro-hardware problem. If something has cracked in the MB (even a microscopic crack in a chip somewhere), it could be overheating and slowing everything down.

If the CPU fan is OK, try shutting down for a couple of hours to let everything cool, then start up and see if it's faster for a while, then slows down again.

Just a thought.

Rip

Author: branmin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182428 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/7/2012 9:24 PM
Know how to do this in Vista?

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182435 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/7/2012 11:23 PM
With 4GB memory…

Even if you have 4GB installed, your PC probably can't address more than 3GB, unless you have a 64-bit version of Vista.

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182436 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/7/2012 11:38 PM
"Even if you have 4GB installed, your PC probably can't address more than 3GB, unless you have a 64-bit version of Vista."

I think it's the 64 bit. Pretty sure.

The other thing it's doing is making a lot of constant "click click clickity" sounds. How's that for tech speak!

Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182437 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/7/2012 11:41 PM
branmin,

Know how to do this in Vista?

Do what? Bring up the Task Manager? I've never used Vista, but in Win7 you right-click on the taskbar and choose "Start Task Manager".

Phil

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182438 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/7/2012 11:55 PM
Thanks Rip. I have it on my list to look at what you suggest.
Crazy busy right now but I need my computer working well so I have to carve some time out. I may even dare to open it up and take a look and listen and clean.
Thanks
RB

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182439 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/8/2012 12:04 AM
I think it's the 64 bit. Pretty sure.

Here's how to check:

1. Click Start
2. Type system in the Start Search box
3. Click system in the Programs list.

You should see one of the following:

• 64-bit Operating System appears for the System type under System.
• 32-bit Operating System appears for the System type under System.

So, is it really 64 bit?

Author: bearwhizbeer Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182440 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/8/2012 3:04 AM
Having read through all the responses thus far, I'm shocked that no one has suggested the standard, simple basic stuff, other than the defrag (a good idea).

To wit:

1: Kill any and all tool bars other than the ones which come with Chrome (they may not be interfering with your mouse, but they are just noisy clutter anyway).
2. Run CCleaner
3. Then run a registry cleaner (there's one that is part of CCleaner, but I like RegScrub, available at Majorgeeks.com
4. Then defrag the drive.

Then let us know how things are working.

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182445 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/8/2012 9:39 AM
"So, is it really 64 bit?"

Sorry, it's 32. Man I'm tech-free! LOL! I must have been thinking of my laptop which IS 64 bit.

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182446 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/8/2012 9:41 AM
"Sorry, it's 32. Man I'm tech-free!"

No man, that's tech constrained...
B
(a little nerd humor)

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182447 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/8/2012 9:44 AM
Bear,
I'll try these when I have a chance. Thanks.
One quick question: I remember on older computers doing defrags where there was actually a graphic so you can see the progress. When I initiated a defrag on this machine the other day there was no indications of progress. After MANY hours I cancelled it because I didn't know if it was even working! It was MANY hours longer than I've ever seen defrag take in the past.

With Vista (and Win 7) is there a way to see how fragmented the drive is and the progress? Why would they get rid of such a good thing?

Thanks
RB

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182448 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/8/2012 9:47 AM
"No man, that's tech constrained..."

LOL! Yeah, and it seems to fit BOTH definitions of "constrained":

1. Severely restrict the scope, extent, or activity of.
2. Compel or force (someone) toward a particular course of action.

<grin>
RB

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182449 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/8/2012 11:24 AM
I didn't think it was 64-bit. Though 64-bit versions of XP and Vista were available, I'd say they were very rare. I've worked on thousands of computers, and never once say a 64-bit XP or Vista system.

Windows 7 is also available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. But the 32-bit versions are limited to addressing just 3.2GB in the best case, and as little as 2.8GB in the worst case.

Fortunately for Windows users, the desire to have more RAM has finally encouraged PC makers to switch to the 64-bit version for most new systems.

Microsoft should have figured out a way to make the same OS run in either mode. I know it's possible, because Apple did it way back in 2005! Since OS X 10.4 was released in that year, the system had 64-bit memory addressing, and apps could run as either 32-bit or 64-bit apps. These days, all iMacs ship with 8GB standard.

My 3 year old laptop is maxed out with 8GB, and there are times when I still want more! You can never be too rich, and you can never have too much RAM.

Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182450 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/8/2012 11:57 AM
With Vista (and Win 7) is there a way to see how fragmented the drive is and the progress? Why would they get rid of such a good thing?

I'm pretty sure you can still do this in Win7, not sure about Vista. The catch is you never need to do this in 7 because it runs on a schedule by default. Any time I've checked my Win7 desktop it has never required defragging in 3 years. Sweet, not to mention it's they way it ought to be.

Try running diskcheck to see if there are any errors on the drive. Make sure the checkbox to fix any issues is checked.

Kurt

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182453 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/8/2012 1:47 PM
"With Vista (and Win 7) is there a way to see how fragmented the drive is and the progress? Why would they get rid of such a good thing?"

"I'm pretty sure you can still do this in Win7, not sure about Vista. The catch is you never need to do this in 7 because it runs on a schedule by default. Any time I've checked my Win7 desktop it has never required defragging in 3 years. Sweet, not to mention it's they way it ought to be.

Try running diskcheck to see if there are any errors on the drive. Make sure the checkbox to fix any issues is checked."

Kurt,
My Win Vista is set up for defraging on a schedule also. But I notice that it's set to occur when the machine is off. So does it get defragged? It says it was last run Nov 7 but I'm not convinced it really is because I cancelled that procedure (after many hours of not knowing if it was progressing or not!) but it updated the "last run" date anyway.
So I'm wondering how to check. How can one see how fragmented ones disk is? Why they get rid of good features is beyond me.

I searched the start search box for "diskcheck", "disk check", etc but it didn't come up. Is it called something else?

Thanks,
RB

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182460 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/8/2012 7:12 PM
Ok, this is weird, no? After days (maybe a week) of the slowness issue and clickity clack sound, it stopped earlier today and has been fast and silent all day so far!

It seems to have fixed itself!
I hope I'm not writing this prematurely. We'll see.

RB

Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182461 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/8/2012 7:20 PM
Using Win7 double click my computer and then right click on the primary drive (C:) where Windows is installed. Click properties and then click on the Tools tab. Once again, in Win7 the top section is call Error-checking. Click check now and be certain in the window that appears that the box next to Automatically fix file system errors is checked. Click start and Windows will complain that it can't check the disk while in use. Click Schedule disk check. The next time you reboot the system it will check the disk before starting Windows.

On the same "Tools" tab mentioned above you will find the section labeled Defragmentation. Click the defragment now... button. In the window that opens a list of all hard drives will appear. In my case I have two physical drives, one which has two partitions so I see three drives, C:, D: & E:.

C: is my Win7 partition, D: WinXP Pro and E: is a separate physical drive where I copy all data. All three drives report 0% fragmented. C was last checked on 10/31 while D and E were checked on 11/7. It is scheduled to run every Wednesday at 1am but my computer is rarely on at that time yet the scan still ran. They all report they ran between 6:35am and 6:37am so you can see that the system knows it missed the scan and did it automatically at a later time when the computer was on and idle.

I highlighted the C drive and then clicked the "Analyze disk" button. After a few moments it now reports it was last run on 11/8 and it still is 0% fragmented.

HTH,
Kurt

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182466 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/8/2012 10:37 PM
Thanks Kurt. Yes, that helps.
But my Vista machine is different in two ways that I can see:
1. It doesn't show anywhere the % fragmentation.
2. I see no "analyze disk" option.
Thanks,
RB

Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182467 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/8/2012 10:51 PM
Recommendations: 2
Try this instead

http://download.cnet.com/Smart-Defrag-2/3000-2094_4-10759533...

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182509 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/12/2012 2:26 PM
Hey RB,

g100 beat me to it. Smart Defrag will optimize and defrag your Vista PC and provides a nice GUI that shows you the progress of its optimization/defragmentation. Its free and I highly recommend it. I have been using it for years on my Vista laptop. Try it you'll like it :)

http://download.cnet.com/Smart-Defrag-2/3000-2094_4-10759533...

Rich
Arizona

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182519 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/12/2012 6:54 PM
Thanks Rich for the second endorsement. I'll download it!

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182520 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/12/2012 7:28 PM
OK, I've got the Smart Defrag program. I hit the "analyze" button. Am I missing something or does it not tell you the percentage fragmentation?
It does say that 1377 files are fragmented out of 256875. So is that 0.536%. That's pretty much unfragmented I'd say!

What is the fragmentation rate? It says 1.68%.

Anyway, it suggests degrag and optimize.

RB

Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182522 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/12/2012 8:23 PM
defrag & fully optimize

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182525 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/13/2012 12:56 AM
Hey RB,

What g100 said. You should notice an improvement after defrag/optimization has been completed.

Rich
Arizona

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182542 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/14/2012 8:45 PM
Thanks all. It is running better now :)
Good holidays to all!
RB

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182556 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/16/2012 3:21 AM
Good holidays to all!
RB

Same to you Rick :)

Rich
Arizona

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182561 of 188748
Subject: Re: SLOWWWWWW! Date: 11/16/2012 6:33 PM
"Same to you Rick :)"

The cats out of the bag!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement