Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1294  
Subject: smack talk Date: 8/29/2008 10:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I do it.

Not because I am an expert or that I necessarily know more than other owners (though that is often the case when I do it), but because it often completely rattles the competition. This is especially true in pick up leagues like Yahoo.

Last night is a good example.

I usually start off light with various comments like, "bit of a reach."

That is exactly what I said last night when some guy took Delhomme in the 5th and as the 5th or 6th overall QB.

I went on to state that Delhomme's ADP is usually the 11th round.

Their reply was, "f.u."

And we were off to the races! Honestly, that is the first time in all my years of FF that anyone ever got that hostile to an otherwise benign comment.

We went back and forth after that, him trying to redicule the name of my team ("Oops I did it Again") by calling me brittney. Others chimed in by saying I had big boobs, etc. I ate it up. I replied, "thanks, they [the boobs] cost a fortune." Someone asked, "what are u 12 yrs old?" I replied, "No, by the age of 13, you learn to spell 'u' as 'you' so I don't qualify to be 12."

I actually use a silly name like "Oops..." to disarm the competition. If they think I am some silly girl, they might go easier on a trade.

It went back and forth like that for a few rounds while those doing smack back, had no time in which to prepare themselves for their next picks - and it thoroughly worked.

In the end, they actually came around and one even asked me for my advice on their team. The one guy that said, 'f.u' made some comment about next time staying away from the beer before the draft (this after they had said they needed a martini).

So, do you talk smack? What has been your experience with such?

Our teams:

Oops:
1. (3) Joseph Addai RB
2. (18) Larry Fitzgerald WR
3. (23) T.J. Houshmandzadeh WR
4. (38) Jason Witten TE
5. (43) Michael Turner RB
6. (58) Earnest Graham RB
7. (63) Donovan McNabb QB
8. (78) Joey Galloway WR
9. (83) Selvin Young RB
10. (98) Seattle DEF
11. (103) Chris Perry RB
12. (118) Vincent Jackson WR
13. (123) Rob Bironas K
14. (138) Kurt Warner QB
15. (143) Ray Rice RB

'f.u.' guy:

1. (5) Steven Jackson
2. (16) Ryan Grant
3. (25) Steve Smith
4. (36) Wes Welker
5. (45) Jake Delhomme (the initial reach)
6. (56) Dallas Clark
7. (65) Jerricho Cotchery (I told him good pick)
8. (76) Mason Crosby (then I laughed at him again here)
9. (85) Green Bay
10. (96) Nate Burleson
11. (105) Jon Kitna
12. (116) Deuce McAllister
13. (125) D.J. Hackett
14. (136) Alge Crumpler
15. (145) Baltimore

The guy that asked for advice has:

1. (1) LaDainian Tomlinson
2. (20) Peyton Manning
3. (21) Willis McGahee
4. (40) Antonio Gates
5. (41) Greg Jennings
6. (60) Roddy White
7. (61) Kevin Curtis
8. (80) Matt Hasselbeck
9. (81) Ronnie Brown
10. (100) Jay Cutler
11. (101) Fred Taylor
12. (120) Chicago
13. (121) Adam Vinatieri
14. (140) Chester Taylor
15. (141) Kenny Watson

I told him that taking Manning and Gates when he did cost him a bit. I told him I thought Culter was good value when he took him. I told him that Taylor was a great handcuff grab/trade bait.
I also told him that he messed up by taking Watson instead of his own handcuff for McGahee.

Then two picks later, I drafted his handcuff :)

On a tangent, this silly nuggest just sent me one of the worst trade offers I have seen:

He gives me:
Hasselbeck
Fred Taylor

For my:
TJ Housh
Vincent Jackson
Warner

Who is this guy kidding?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Is the Market Overvalued?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement