Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: yonder6 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121333  
Subject: Small business buy stocks? Date: 7/25/2000 9:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My husband and I own a small business - we employ six fulltime and one part time. We have been studing the Fool site as we will be debt free in a few months and would like to invest Foolishly. We were wondering if 1) A small business can purchase stock and 2) if so, is there a tax advantage as opposed to purchasing as an individual investor?

Thanks for any input.

Judy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: EGUSC Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38023 of 121333
Subject: Re: Small business buy stocks? Date: 7/26/2000 1:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Judy,

I am guessing that your business is a sole proprietorship - IRS Schedule C. If thats the case there is no difference in buying stock as a small business. You will own the stock as an individual.

If you have a small corporation it is better to own stock outside the business for many reasons. Corps have no capital loss deductions, no long-term gains tax rates. Its a good idea to keep investments away from business creditors.

good luck,

EG

Author: yonder6 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38031 of 121333
Subject: Re: Small business buy stocks? Date: 7/26/2000 8:11 AM
EG,

Thanks for your reply. We are a small corporation and your points are well taken. We have done many things to avoid creditors such as we own the building and lease it back to the business. I also do not have fiduciary (spelling?) responsibility to protect our personal assets. While we do not mind paying taxes, there is never a reason to pay unnecessary taxes and we wanted to make sure we were not missing something as we begin our investment planning.

Judy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement