UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MissEdithKeeler Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883719  
Subject: Small House Article Date: 12/7/2012 11:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I started reading this, thinking it was going to be a good story about simplicity, paring down, etc., when I saw the headline about deciding not to build the 8000 SF house and living in the 1200 SF house instead.

But then I read this:
Tassin, 56, spent about 1.5 years and $2 million transforming the house into a New Mexican adobe with a pink stone driveway, two pink stone pillars and flower pots out front.

http://realestate.msn.com/before-and-after-adobe-reimagined-...

Pretty house inside.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FlippoHip Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869418 of 883719
Subject: Re: Small House Article Date: 12/10/2012 10:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I read this same article and it made me a little sick to my stomach. I was hoping for ideas to spruce up my little 1200 sqft ranch.

Nope.

I think the renovations are monstrous and over priced. She had to have "custom furniture" made for the living room because it's so small....um..it's bigger than my living room and I found perfectly scaled furniture at Ashley.

The landscaping in the back is OK, but she went for an English cottage look in the front, and that doesn't really go with the adobe architecture.

On the plus side, she pumped a lot of money into the community. There were carpenters, electricians, contractors and so on getting a paycheck, so that's good. The mutation of a historic adobe house is a shame though. It seems like she was dead-set on turning that charming little house into something it was never meant to be.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869420 of 883719
Subject: Re: Small House Article Date: 12/10/2012 10:43 AM
She didn't do badly out of the divorce if she can afford to spend $2.5 million on the house.

One has to wonder if her spending was part of the reason for the divorce.

By the way, if she added 800 square feet, the house is no longer 1,200 square feet.

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869436 of 883719
Subject: Re: Small House Article Date: 12/10/2012 3:34 PM
Recommendations: 0
By the way, if she added 800 square feet, the house is no longer 1,200 square feet.

You and I agree on that, but for some reason, it's only the footprint that counts to a lot of assessor offices. Our house is listed as 1600 sf, but that's based on multiplying our first floor square footage by 1.5, and doesn't account for our basement at all.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869450 of 883719
Subject: Re: Small House Article Date: 12/10/2012 6:47 PM
Recommendations: 1
Our house is listed as 1600 sf, but that's based on multiplying our first floor square footage by 1.5

Does that mean that a two or three story house with the same footprint is assessed based on the same square footage?

It seems strange to me, but my opinion is irrelavant.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869480 of 883719
Subject: Re: Small House Article Date: 12/11/2012 10:43 AM
Holy Crap on a Stick.

I would have divorced her too. I'm assuming her 8,000sqft home was going to run $20MM. Simple elegance my patootie.

xtn

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869501 of 883719
Subject: Re: Small House Article Date: 12/11/2012 6:31 PM
Wow, blowing all that money to try and create a mini-palace out of a dumpy little house.

And she ended up with a gaudy little house.

Ridiculous.

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869654 of 883719
Subject: Re: Small House Article Date: 12/17/2012 5:14 PM
I think that they don't count spaces underground in many areas, but I am not sure why.

We have a full basement that isn't included because it's "unfinished", but our neighbors with fully finished basements also do not have that space included in their sf.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement