UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65556  
Subject: Smart Phone purchases 2012 Date: 1/25/2013 8:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I am amazed - 1 in 10 people world wide bought a smart phone in 2012 - I mean not just adults, 10% of all humans!

See:
http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html
and
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/24/samsungs-shipped-m...

Gordon
Atlanta
Print the post Back To Top
Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62115 of 65556
Subject: Re: Smart Phone purchases 2012 Date: 1/25/2013 8:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Think of all those data plan charges :)

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62116 of 65556
Subject: Re: Smart Phone purchases 2012 Date: 1/25/2013 10:21 AM
Based on a very small sampling, about 99% of all middle-class high school girls have one. And about 75% of those are iPhones (they seem to be most popular with kids...most adults I know prefer Android).

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62117 of 65556
Subject: Re: Smart Phone purchases 2012 Date: 1/25/2013 10:41 AM
Recommendations: 3
Most adults I know have iPhones, and quite a large sampling of them had an Android at one time or another, probably more than a third of them in fact.

It's been my experience that many people got their first smartphone to join the new age. Some did it due to peer pressure, some just to experiment, and more and more because of the dearth of any decent old-fashioned phones.

As many of those users began to experience some of the benefits of having a smartphone, they began to assess their purchase. Once lured by price alone, they became more interested in how the phone worked, what they wanted to do on it, and whether they liked it. The only people I know that prefer the Android phones are most certainly those that are IT and tech oriented. Many like to immediately "root" their phone and do some pretty amazing stuff. But just as is the case in the PC world, this is a small minority of users.

I've used some Android phones, and I've seen what those users did with them. How they interconnect with their computers, their daily lives. While I do admit some Android features not yet available in the iPhone world are pretty darn nice, the overall experience is not an experience I want in my life. Heck, it's nice to have choices.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62118 of 65556
Subject: Re: Smart Phone purchases 2012 Date: 1/25/2013 11:18 AM
The only people I know that prefer the Android phones are most certainly those that are IT and tech oriented.

Interesting observation. I work in semiconductors. I'm pretty much surrounded by those folks all day, and no one else. (And, yes, I'm one also.) So that might explain the overwhelming dominance of Android that I observe daily. I even have the flip-side experience of you in that I know at least two former iPhone owners who abandoned them for Android (though, to be fair, one did it back when iPhone was locked to AT&T and he got fed-up with AT&T). I have used (but never owned) an iPhone (a couple generations back), and I do prefer the Android interface (Gingerbread and newer).

Anyway, that may indicate I have a selection bias based on where I work (and with whom).

Teenage daughter's friends are predominantly iPhone owners, as I said. Though I should amend my previous estimate because three of her friends recently got Samsung SIII devices (so iPhone is probably about 80% or so, not 99%).

Being able to root the Android is pretty cool. It allowed me to eliminate some pre-loaded stuff I didn't want (but Android's OI wouldn't let me kill...they appear only to allow you to delete what YOU load, not what THEY load). Though I'm not as hardcore as some.

Yeah, choice is good. I'm not a cheerleader one way or the other. I personally don't want an iPhone, but I have no ax to grind for those who do. It's mostly personal preference.

1poorguy

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62119 of 65556
Subject: Re: Smart Phone purchases 2012 Date: 1/25/2013 11:57 AM
Recommendations: 4
We seem to have confirmed some of the preference bias in real life :)

One guy I know bought an Android phone last year. He's a true Linux geek, as well as Windows IT dude. I referenced his story awhile back about his outrage after having used a Macbook for awhile. He couldn't stand it! Too easy, he couldn't get quick access to a multitude of his needed IT Tools as he called them. Best computer he's ever had, but he hated it.

The funniest part about it was he saw me working on my Mac day in and day out. I just lift the lid and go at it. He said, "That's no fun".

I know people that love to build car engines that feel the same way about reliable cars :) I hate to lift the hood.

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62120 of 65556
Subject: Re: Smart Phone purchases 2012 Date: 1/25/2013 1:46 PM
While that may be perfectly accurate, let me speculate about 98% of your database is in a mere 4.3% of the world (i.e. the USA). There are a whole lot of folks in the Asia, Africa and Europe -- to mention three areas with population greater than North America. Specifically in the first two of those a significant portion of folks have incomes much less than the USA poverty level.

Finally, the data was not smart phone usage generally, but rather sales in 2012.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62616 of 65556
Subject: Re: Smart Phone purchases 2012 Date: 4/3/2013 11:45 PM
Recommendations: 1
I know people that love to build car engines that feel the same way about reliable cars :) I hate to lift the hood.

I know people who feel the same way about driving; they get performance sports cars, always with a manual transmission.

As for me, well… If we had transporters (à la Star Trek), I'd never get in a car again.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement