No. of Recommendations: 0
Smdiss asks:

I'm aware that IRA contributions can be made for tax-year 2000 up through April 16 of this year. My question: is it still possible to make contributions if you've already filed for 2000? The IRA account is presently a regular one, but we'd like to convert to a Roth asap.

If we convert in the next month, then we pay the tax involved when we file for 2001, right? But what if we convert say on March 15, then are we able to still make additional contributions for 2000?

You may make a contribution to your traditional or Roth IRA for 2000 until April 16, 2001, even if your income tax return has been filed. Just ensure that the contribution is clearly designated as being for that year so the custodian doesn't designate it as a 2001 contribution.

If you convert your existing IRA to a Roth in March, the income for that conversion will be reported on your income tax return for 2001. After conversion, you may use that account for your regular annual contribution for tax-year 2000. As I said above, though, just make sure that deposit is clearly designated as a tax-year 2000 contribution.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.