Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: edcosoft Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Re: wash sale Date: 2/23/2000 2:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
smfish writes:

Perhaps you can check my calculations on the Wash Sale (I hope, my first and
last wash sale). I purchased stock at various times in 1999, for a total of 230
shares at a total cost of $23,272.74. On 09-20-99, I sold 230 shares for
$19,057.99, for a $4,214.76 loss. Bought back 100 shares on 09-22-99 for
$9,044.50. one hundred shares of two hundred thirty shares is .443%, so .566%
of 4214.76 (loss) is $2,385.55, which I guess is my loss? Remainder of the loss,
4,214.76 minus 2,385.55 is $1,829.21, which I guess is added to the cost of 100
shares, $1,829.21 + 9,044.50 = 10,873.71, for my new cost basis on 100 shares.

I reply:

You're correct that you have a wash sale, but you can't divvy up the basis of the
underlying shares in the way you describe. You need to calculate for each separate
purchase whether you had a gain or a loss. Once you've located the first 100 shares
on which you sustained a loss, you can stop. The loss on those 100 shares is
disallowed and added to the basis of the shares you purchased on September 22.
You may recognize your remaining loss.

This analysis assumes that you purchased no shares on or after August 21, 1999. If
this assumption is wrong, than you may have had another wash sale. If you post back
with dates and figures, someone may be willing to give you more detailed help. If you
do, please format the figures to be easily readable. Thanks. --Bob

I think shat Bob is saying is that the problem is that you can't use profitable trades to offset losses on the same date. I think you have to take all the shares on which you had a gain and report them (you can probably make this one trade with "various" as purchase date). Then the remaining total loss is pro-rata on a share basis versus the 100 Replacement shares to determine your Wash Sale, adjustment, and basis and date change on the 100 shares. Since they are all losses you can bunch them together with "various" as purchase dates.
Ed
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement