Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 81945  
Subject: Smoked Some Spare Ribs Date: 4/20/2014 5:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
for a friend's birthday party, Saturday, at his and his wife's request. It took me around 3 hours to remove the membrane, trim 4 racks and make a rub from brown sugar, freshly cracked black pepper, freshly ground sea salt and a little paprika - I gotta get faster, but I like to be thorough, especially in removing the membrane, and don't want to sacrifice the end product for speed... Any suggestions?

They set up a table on their rear deck, so we didn't get in each others way in the kitchen - work well. I used 2 large cookie sheets on top of the table, so as not to make too much of a mess - 1 to trim the racks and the other to coat the ribs with mustard and apply the rub, and a platter to plate them on until the smoker was ready.

I fired up the smoker after prepping 3 racks and got them going, using a local store brand charcoal, that looks like it's made by Kingston, and some Weber Apple chunks for aromatic smoke. That happened around 5:30. Thankfully, Joe and Estella made sum King Crab and a stir fried fish to hold over the crowd that they invited. Estela axed me to grill sum hot dogs for their daughters - damn thin hot dogs, as it turned out, and I had a very hard time grilling them, between raw and burnt. A decent brat would have been much easier to grill, but you do what you can with what you got. The dogs, with little doubt, probably would have turned out better if I had cooked them over indirect heat - My bad, and a lesson learned, the hard way, and I should have known better!

Anyway, the ribs turned out OK, and all but 3 bones of the 4 racks were eaten, even though they were served at around 8:30 PM... I shifted the 4th rack or ribs to the lower rack and moved the 3 earlier racks to the top rack around 2 hours into the smoke, so they all got done about the same time.

I drank a few more Vodka and Cranberry juice cocktails than I should have, and one of Joe and Estela's friends insisted that I stay the night, which was a good idea, so I did.

I spent a couple of hours cleaning the smoker and Jumbo Joe Grill that I used - Gotta do some laundry, and it's back to work tomorrow morning - grateful for that, and had a great time smoking some ribs and socializing with Joe, his family and mutual friends for his birthday party.

Bob

As the 3 racks were
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement