Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: slakk Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2728  
Subject: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 5/27/2009 8:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Found a Smoker Grill on the roadside.
The kind that is shaped like a barrel cut in half.

As I was moving it from the side of my garage to the drive to begin repairs, one of the legs snapped off.
Darn.
So, now the barrel part sets next to my fire pit as storage for twigs and kindling. Placing logs around it gives it an "up-northsy" feel.

found another regular LP grill. You know the kind, the ones that people just toss out because they were too lazy to keep the grates clean and there is all sort of charred on burger?
Hooker up the LP and it lit fine. Only problem was flames started shooting out from underneath. Almost began to melt the LP hoses.
I am thinking this is just because the screened connector tube from the burner to the rubber LP hose is gunked up with grease.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2680 of 2728
Subject: Re: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 5/27/2009 9:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Only problem was flames started shooting out from underneath. Almost began to melt the LP hoses.

Er... how far do you live from the Fire Department?

Author: elvistmf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2681 of 2728
Subject: Re: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 5/27/2009 9:41 AM
spider webs.

Clean out the nozzels where the gas enters the burner.
Clean out the tubes of the burner as well.
Compressed air works or you can buy a long thin flexible brush that snakes it out.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2682 of 2728
Subject: Re: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 5/27/2009 10:08 AM
found another regular LP grill. You know the kind, the ones that people just toss out because they were too lazy to keep the grates clean and there is all sort of charred on burger?
Hooker up the LP and it lit fine. Only problem was flames started shooting out from underneath. Almost began to melt the LP hoses.
I am thinking this is just because the screened connector tube from the burner to the rubber LP hose is gunked up with grease.

Next time, maybe you should use some soapy water to check for gas leaks before lighting a fire.

PSU

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2683 of 2728
Subject: Re: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 5/27/2009 10:09 AM
Recommendations: 1

This is the same poster who stores 65 gallons of gas on his property. I hope the Fire Department is close.

PSU

Author: slakk Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2684 of 2728
Subject: Re: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 5/27/2009 11:15 AM
PSU
22gals of those are in the truck tank...
the rest are in 8 5gal federally approved plastic containers.
i see no reason for concern.
don't most people keep 2-5gals of gasoline sitting in the garage for the mower? Anyhoo...
----

yeah-- i thought maybe spider webs---but i think its the grease build up on the screen parts that won't allow enough oxygen to get through.

The burner is clean of webs, and the flames didn't start to go underneath until after about a minute of "regular" burning.
So I think the grease build up may have expanded on the "screens" and blocked the air/fuel mixture.
The only place for the flame+LP combo to find oxygen was underneath.
I'll clean it out and let you guys know how it works and how much I get for it for sale on the curb.
(a local craing's lister sells refurbished grills for $40)

slakk

Author: slakk Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2685 of 2728
Subject: Re: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 5/27/2009 1:41 PM
I am in full compliance

http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d000701-d000800/d000760/d000760...

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2686 of 2728
Subject: Re: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 5/27/2009 1:55 PM
See post on LBYM board. I have doubts your plastic gasoline containers are UL or FM approved.

PSU

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2687 of 2728
Subject: Re: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 5/27/2009 5:21 PM

This is the same poster who stores 65 gallons of gas on his property. I hope the Fire Department is close.

PSU

El WrongO! (again)

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=27689326&sort=who...

Desert (Hope you're more accurate in your work) Dave

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2688 of 2728
Subject: Re: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 5/28/2009 12:00 AM
Desert says:
-------------------

PSU says:

---------------
El WrongO! (again)

Ummm .... no. You need to read more carefully. The "you" in your sentence refers to slakk. You were responding to one of his posts.

My response to your post is to point out slakk is also the poster who stores 65 gallons of gasoline on his property. Here is the post where he says he does this.
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=27689326

Now if you are trying to stretch logic and think I was implying you, that just does not make sense. You were saying you hoped slakk was close to the Fire Department. Why would I switch the question of Fire Dept distance to you? I was agreeing with you that I hope slakk lived close to the fire dept.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2689 of 2728
Subject: Re: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 5/28/2009 12:32 AM
The "you" in your sentence refers to slakk. You were responding to one of his posts.

My response to your post is to point out slakk is also the poster who stores 65 gallons of gasoline on his property.
I was agreeing with you that I hope slakk lived close to the fire dept.

OK, I accept your explanation. I misconstrued your response.

Author: slakk Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2690 of 2728
Subject: Re: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 5/28/2009 7:39 AM
well I do live close to a fire dept.
And my containers are UL approved
(they have to be when running a business and hauling around fuel-- ala lawn cutting service)

slakk

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2691 of 2728
Subject: Re: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 5/28/2009 9:10 AM
OK, I accept your explanation. I misconstrued your response.

Thanks. Read each post for its merits. I'm not out to get you.

PSU

Author: TeacherK Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2692 of 2728
Subject: Re: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 5/28/2009 1:32 PM
Recommendations: 2
> The burner is clean of webs, and the flames didn't start to go underneath until after about a minute of "regular" burning. <

Uh, sometimes people throw things out for a reason.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2693 of 2728
Subject: Re: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 5/29/2009 10:16 AM
Recommendations: 1

I agree but also some people are unwilling to buy a part and make a simple repair.

PSU

Author: slakk Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2694 of 2728
Subject: Re: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 5/29/2009 11:57 AM
ill be cleaning the grease of the screen of this grill this weekend and firing it up again...
ill let you guys know if the only part needed on this was soap!

Author: slakk Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2695 of 2728
Subject: Re: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 6/1/2009 8:25 AM
whooops-- sorry didn't get around to it yet...but my yard looks FAB!

Author: TheBreeze Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2696 of 2728
Subject: Re: Smoker Grill -- LP Grill Date: 7/11/2009 10:14 PM
Recommendations: 4

I agree but also some people are unwilling to buy a part and make a simple repair.

Sometimes not even a part.

My three working dehumidifiers all just needed to be disassembled and vacuumed to removed the thick thick layers of lint and crud on the heat exchangers. I have two 40-pint units and a 25-pint unit for free...much better than the 15-pint unit I got when I bought my house. Two of the freebies were rescued from the trash while I was driving to work (different years). I guess the discarding parties set them beside the trash in case someone could recover and repair them. One of the three was a "For Free" post on the intranet at work.

I also recovered a CardioGlide whose timer/calorie-counter/rep-counter doesn't work. What do I care? I just go on it for two minutes to warm up before lifting.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement