UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: pgray007 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Re: Newbie IRA question Date: 1/12/2005 6:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Smurfette,

After being a debt slave for so long, I want to help as many people as I can!! On the car front, I did some simple math. I was leasing so there was no way to avoid getting brutalized, but I looked at the hit I was going to have to take, then I looked at the potental savings of driving a "less impressive" vehicle for a year. At about $700/month on car payments and insurance, I could afford up to a $8400 hit if I drove the clunker for one year. I was able to make out significantly better than that, so in essence, it was about $6k into my credit cards. Sure I was a little less stylish in the 1991 max, but my friends and family loved me all the same!

Try checking with some family members and friends and see if any of them are willing to "donate" an older car to you, and do the math and you'll likely come out ahead, upside down or not. Our max is still going strong at 200K miles, and works great as a train car for my fiancee.

The key with all this stuff is to take emotion out of it. If you dedicate some time each week, and look at your finances with an impasioned eye, you're less likely to feel guilty and dread looking at all those bills every month.

The other trick I did in MS Money, which you could also do with Excel, is create a graph of total debt, and a graph of monthly finance charges paid, each over time. It's a nice morale boost to see both these lines going down, and in the case of the second graph, each dollar of that is one more in your pocket. Paying off my debt gave me nearly a $150-200 raise each month... now that's real money!

Good luck, and stay the course!

I just started so I have no idea how to cross-post... oh well...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement