Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rerics Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 315  
Subject: SNL Date: 3/12/2003 4:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I know Saturday Night Live is taped in New York, so of course there is going to be a New York-centric feel to it. But it bugs me when they make references to things that New Yorkers find funny, but the rest of the country ends up scratching their collective heads. For example:

1. On occasion, on some of the older shows, they'd do a commercial spoof with a manic pitchman who would claim he has set prices so low that he must be "insane!!!!" Evidently, this is based on some real guy (Crazy Eddie I think) in the New York area. The studio audience ate it up, but we were wondering what was so dang funny.

2. The whole Leona Helmsley fiasco. SNL milked this one to death when this was going on. The rest of us knew a little about it, but outside of New York, it certainly wasn't in the top 20 news stories on any given night.

3. Billy Crystal, when he was a regular back in the mid 80's, did a take-off on Joe Franklin and his talk show. At the time, I just assumed he was making up some original character, since Martin Short would be a frequent guest as Jackie Rogers, Jr., another fake original character. Imagine my surprise when we finally got cable that had WWOR(?) from NY, and there was The Joe Franklin Show on late night TV. I guess SNL assumed everyone had cable with this station on its line-up?

4. Just last week, after the capture of that Bin Laden associate, they showed his picture on the fake news, and Jimmy Fallon says he looks just like the "[something about making donuts]" guy. Sounds like a pitchman for a donut chain. It got a big laugh. Now maybe this is aired nationally; I don't watch enough TV to know for sure. But my hunch is this is some guy on another local or regional advertisement that is lost on the vast majority of the viewing audience.

rerics
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement