Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: hotfoot Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19218  
Subject: Snowbirding Date: 10/8/1998 3:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am looking for info on staying in FL for part of the winter.
I think I would like to find a trailer park or small home where I can ride a bike around, walk, BS and get in a row boat to go fishing. (Fresh water fishing).
I would expect to buy a trailer and pay rent on the lot year round.
Has anyone out there tried this or have first hand experience with it?
Does anyone have recommended sites or areas?
How about AZ? Looks expensive to me.

H.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RABBLE Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123 of 19218
Subject: Re: Snowbirding Date: 10/8/1998 4:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
HOTFOOT
IF you can stand the confinment of a trailer, why not try a boat. they have many advantages. And they dont cost any more.
As for you other Fools out there haveing trouble spending money let me tell you how I handled it. I am not telling this as a recomendation, just what I did. I gave it ALL away. I paid off my kids house and cars. And bought a trailer for my grand kids. Put the trailer on my 5 acre wooded lot, then gave the land to them. My house-shop is paid for and I live just fine on SS. I sleep well at night knowing no #@$% lawyer is going to get a dime when I kick off. I also soloed my new plane. It was its first flight and my second flight and we both survived. Life is high adventure life is fun and I am the oldest male in my direct line for as far back as I have been able to check.
RABBLE

Author: hotfoot Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 124 of 19218
Subject: Re: Snowbirding Date: 10/8/1998 7:10 PM
RABBLE sez:

<<IF you can stand the confinment of a trailer, why not try a boat. they have many advantages. And they dont cost any more.>>

I need to walk and have room to roam.. Can not yet walk on water altho I have tried. A bicycle on water may be even worse. On top of that I'm looking at a double-wide kind of thing at around 20K.
You seem to be pretty good at retirement -- do you still have some NSM stock to supplement SS?
Regards,
H.

Author: crrroger One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 125 of 19218
Subject: Re: Snowbirding Date: 10/9/1998 9:55 AM
I have "snowbirded" to Arizona(from Oregon) off and on since 1985. Have gone the full route from owning a complete second home to pulling a travel trailer and bouncing from RV park to RV park. I have settled on a combination of the two concepts.....found a place I like and bought a lot set up for the RV. Arizona is full of this type of opportunity as I am sure Texas and Florida are. This arrangement seems to be the most cost effective way to get full benefit of the investment in the RV and also not have too much money invested in the winter "digs"....

works great for me,
Roger

Author: hotfoot Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126 of 19218
Subject: Re: Snowbirding Date: 10/9/1998 12:11 PM
crrroger sez:
<<<.....found a place I like and bought a lot set up for the RV. Arizona is full of this type of opportunity as I am sure Texas and Florida are. This arrangement seems to be the most cost effective way to get full benefit of the investment in the RV and also not have too much money invested in the winter "digs"....>>>

The approach you have taken is similar to what I have been thinking about.
The lot rental rates in FL are increasing fairly fast. I don't know if this is average but one park, for the over 55'ers, rents lots for around 250/month and probably does not accept RV's. Seems high.
Is it corect that your plan allows you to pull out for the summer and not have to pay for a lot? What have you experienced around AZ?
What do you look for in a park?
Thanks,
H.

Author: SlateBelt Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 129 of 19218
Subject: Re: Snowbirding Date: 10/9/1998 4:19 PM
hotfoot wrote:
I am looking for info on staying in FL for part of the winter. Does anyone have recommended sites or areas?

Friends of mine live in a neat little park in N. Ft. Meyers, FL called "The Serendipity". There are places for sale, many lower than 20K. They ride their bikes, swim in the park pool and do all those things that retired folks do down there. They love it. We visited them and we toured many parks like theirs. There are many new ones going up in that area. The new mobile homes are beautiful. The area is great. You own the dwelling, but pay rent for the land that it's on.

Author: oldred22 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 130 of 19218
Subject: Re: Snowbirding Date: 10/9/1998 5:55 PM
RABBLE wrote:
I also soloed my new plane. It was its first flight and my second flight

What a great way of life, wow.

Loved your answer.

I soloed a plane way back when but then travel for business had me so busy flying in the back end that by the time I got back around to piloting, was too rusty and needed more lessons so gave up.

Maybe now is the time to go back to it.

Was it an ultalite plane???

oldred22

Author: oldred22 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131 of 19218
Subject: Re: Snowbirding Date: 10/9/1998 6:00 PM
oldred22 wrote:
Was it an ultalite plane???

That should have been ultralite (ultralight??)

anyway one of them homebuilt kit kind of planes??

Sorry

oldred22

Author: hotfoot Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132 of 19218
Subject: Re: Snowbirding Date: 10/9/1998 7:00 PM
SlateBelt,
Thanks for the information.
We have spent time at Ft. Meyers Beach over the years so we know the area a little. There are a lot of greyheads there!
Will look up the Serendipity -- may be down that way in a few months.
Has anyone spent time in that area enough to know the typical rental cost for the lots?
GO INDIANS,
h.

Author: RABBLE Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 135 of 19218
Subject: Re: Snowbirding Date: 10/9/1998 8:50 PM
oldred22 re:flying
Yes it is an ultralight called "mini Max" by TEAM inc. I call it the old geezers plane because so many oldsters are building and flying them. It took me 3 years of fun type work and about 8k over that time. I got tired running up and down the strip so I just opened the throttle and hung on. Max and I were in the air in less than 5 seconds. What a thrill. Here I was up here looking down on all you less fortunate folks in a craft I built with my own hands.
Then it dawned on me " take offs are optional but landings are mandetory". To make a long story short Max saved ole Richard's buns. The third try was good and both the Max and I landed ground looped and came to rest with no bent or broken parts. Not recomended procceedure but it sure was a blast
Rabble

Author: oldred22 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136 of 19218
Subject: Re: Snowbirding Date: 10/9/1998 11:02 PM
Rabble wrote:

The third try was good and both the Max and I landed ground looped and came to rest with no bent or broken parts. Not recomended procceedure but it sure was a blast

And I am sure I dont have to tell you that any landing you walk away from is a good one.

Wow what a great adventure that must have been.

oldred22

Author: SlateBelt Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143 of 19218
Subject: Re: Snowbirding Date: 10/12/1998 12:53 PM
hotfoot, Received your e-mail. I will find out the information from my friends. I don't know how to do the e-mail thing on here, though. I'll try to find out and e-mail the info to you. (Anybody want to tell me how to e-mail from the boards?)

SlateBelt

Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 144 of 19218
Subject: Re: Snowbirding Date: 10/12/1998 1:20 PM
To e-mail from the boards, go down below the "Submit Reply" box and click once on the "E-mail this reply to the author" box so that a check mark appears. If you do not want the reply also to be posted, click on the "Post this reply to the boards" box so that the check mark disappears.

Author: hotfoot Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 146 of 19218
Subject: Re: Snowbirding Date: 10/12/1998 5:49 PM
<<<<< (Anybody want to tell me how to e-mail from the boards?) >>>>

SlateBelt,
You can type a reply to a posting on this board and then look below the reply you just typed where you hit "submit" or "Preview Reply."
You will see a block to be checked if you want to E-Mail (as opposed to "Post to Boards") to the author of the orig message.
That is how I sent an E-Mail to you.
H.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement