Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Scheller Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 17  
Subject: So.... Date: 10/6/2010 6:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Going on two years now of wet shaving. I've tried multiple aftershaves (AS), a few Shaving Soaps (SS), a few Shaving Creams (SC)(true shaving creams come in a tube BTW, foam or gel comes in a can). But I've settled into, pretty much, a routine. Nearly every day, I use Tabac Shaving Soap lathered with my inexpensive badger brush and use three passes with my Merkur Progress with a Derby blade. After shave is usually cool water followed by either Pinaud Clubman or Pinuad Bay Rum.

The initial expense of all of this was daunting:

1. Merkur Progress Double Edge Safety Razor -- $55
2. 200 Derby Double Edge razor blades -- $16
3. Badger Brush -- Tweezerman -- $15
4. Tabac Shaving Soap (with dish) -- $18
5. Pinaud Bay Rum -- $9

Heck that's $113 for shaving gear!!!

But, it has been very economical since the initial outlay of funds. Since the initial purchase, over two years ago, I've bought:

1. No additional razors --- $0
2. No additional blades (still have enough @ 1 blade per week for another year+ --- $0
3. No additional brush (still going strong) --- $0
4. Six additional soap pucks (they last me about 4 months) --- $8 each/ $48
5. Pinaud Clubman, Bay Rum, AS --- $18

Hmm.... that's now $177. But, as I break it down, that's $7.38 per month. When compared to what most men are using which is Gillette's current hotseller which goes for $2 - $4 per cartridge and some Edge gel which goes for $5 per can. With using two cartridges and a can of gel every month even before you add in the aftershaves, you come to $11 per month. The further I go into this, the more I enjoy (as opposed to hate) shaving and the more economical it

SWMBO argued at first about the expense but now (even though eye serum costs $20 per half ounce!!!!) but now has realized that she likes the way I smell, the way my face feels and most important how I now feel about what I used to abhor.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement