No. of Recommendations: 0
So a 20% cut in individual tax rates, a nearly 30% reduction in corporate tax rates, and eliminating capital gains taxes doesn't constitute a "massive tax cut" in your book. But allowing the top marginal rates going up "a few meager points" is a massive tax hike. Inconsistent.

I agree with you that the increases aren't massive when it comes to income tax rates.

However I think that taxes are too high to begin with. So raising them even a little is keeping them too high.

Also you are looking at only one small aspect of the tax increase that is coming. It's not just an increase in income and capital gains. Obama has rasied taxes via ObamaKare, Dodd-Frank and other programs, they just aren't taxes that are seen by the public. How many people notice that their retirement accounts are being taxed on every transaction made? How many people notice the taxes on their phone bill, water bill or airline tickets? Who noticed the tax increase on medical devices? How many States increased their income taxes on top of the Federal Income tax? (Mine did).

And you want to talk about inconsistent, explain why it was a bad idea to raise anyone's taxes in 2010 because of the fragile economy, but it's OK to raise them on some people now?

Inconsistent? Why was sequestration a great idea in 2011 when Obama signed it into law, but an awful idea now? (Same for the GOP and Democrats who voted for it).
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement