Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
so aside from calling the authorities, it sounds like my option is to suck it up and pay the tax, huh?

IMO, that's pretty much the bottom line. The quick and dirty solution that won't raise any red flags for either you or her is to file a schedule C and pay the social security taxes yourself.

If you really wanted to push the issue, you could report the income on line 7 (wages, tips and other compensation) and not file schedule SE for the social security taxes. Your argument would be that your employer was responsible for withholding any paying over those taxes. I don't know how well this would fly, however.

I don't see anything in your description of your duties that even remotly sounds like a contractor - you were an employee. The business being organized as an S Corp is immaterial for this purpose.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.