Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
So, based upon your post, it appears that YOU have earned income...which is a bit unusual for a non-resident alien...isn't it??

Hi! I've just moved to the US on a three year employment visa. As far as was aware that made me a non-resident alien, since I don't have the right to live here except in relation to my current job.

But are you saying that for tax purposes I should regard myself as a resident alien because I have US earned income? It sounds as if the IRS uses different meanings for these terms than the INS.

A Moose
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.