Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
SO, Dh is stationed in Iraq, and we've got some nifty tax things to do this year because of it. I am most owrried about the military issues.

Throw in some major mileage and gas reciept deductions, and I've managed to complicate myself.

It looks like TurboTax deluxe would do the trick, plus give me a state (I have to file in two states, KS and MO), but I am wondering if there is something that might be better.

FWIW: I've used in the past, with no problems. I am not sure it gets this complicated, does it?

Any help would be appreciated.

If you insist on doing it yourself, any version of TurboTax and/or TaxCut should be able to complete your return. However, military personnel, particularly ones on active duty in combat zones, have lots of special issues. There's no guarantee that consumer software will make you aware of all the issues. There are also potential problems with the interaction of the two state returns.

I would strongly suggest seeking a professional tax preparer with experience dealing with military returns.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.