Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Professor9 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 193127  
Subject: Re: What Car do you Drive? Date: 2/1/2013 9:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
So everyone, tell me how you love or hate your car/truck. Give us horror stories, stories of true love, entertain us!

You asked for it...

My first car was a 1964 2-door Impala. I loved it. Didn't we all love our first car? I'd probably still be driving it today if I hadn't taken it for a wild ride on a country road and totaled it.

I had a series of other jalopies but was never happy with one until I got another '64. This one had been warmed up a little with a Holley aluminum intake manifold and a 600 Holley carb with vacuum secondaries. She'd scoot right along, but one day tuition was due and someone waved $600.00 under my nose and...

Then I noticed the '64 parked at Stateline. Even at a distance I could see the distinctive SS badge on the trunk. When I found out it was a one-owner I moved heaven and earth to get the car...which hadn't been maintained very well at all. No end of grief did this car give me as every major component gave out at one point or another, often at the most inopportune times. The night I was out with a young lady and the heater core decided to disgorge its contents onto the passenger side floorboards or the evening I was leaving work and hopped onto the highway only to have the U-joint give way, allowing me to drag my driveshaft for several yards. What fun!

She went into storage while we went to Texas and if I'm ever fool enough to add up all the money that cost after only a dozen years I'll likely push it into the nearest ravine with myself at the wheel.

As we "speak" she sits in the garage with a shiny new master cylinder, brakes, brake lines and a breathtaking bill for this service, but I'd have probably beaten it to death with its sturdy tire iron if I'd tried to do it myself. Tomorrow I'll attempt installation of the new fuel pump. Then, perhaps a carb rebuild, a battery, a tire and maybe...perhaps...she might move under her own power again for the first time since 1998.

Meanwhile...

While we were in Texas my BIL offered me his '96 Accord, free. The issue was getting it from Central Iowa to where we were.

I'd had a philosophical issue with foreign cars (probably influenced in so small measure by the Buy American Act that I've adhered to throughout my Federal career) until we went to Japan and had no choice and then I learned what everyone else already knew: They make damn good cars. When we came back stateside I got a Mazda and have never had the issue since.

Back to the Honda. We had a car carrier bring it down, got the paperwork done and I proceeded to drive it. The odometer read 139,000 and change. As of right this minute it reads 253,708. I put about 300 miles a week on it and other than routine stuff, it hasn't cost me much at all. According to my maintenance file the first thing I did to it was in November of 2006 when it needed a muffler.

I'm so sold that when my beloved recently grabbed me by the throat and explained that she was UP TO HERE with battling for use of our other vehicle, I got another older Accord. I probably overpaid for it, but again, I'm sold, I knew the history, and it's got a relatively low 142.733 on the odometer.

I intend to drive them until they blow, because once I do resurrect the Impala, I know for sure it won't be as reliable.

Prof
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Should You Be an Index Investor?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement