Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 156991  
Subject: So Far Microsoft Surface Sales Are... Date: 11/12/2012 12:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
"modest."

That is how Ballmer described them.

Which means to me that they are beyond in the toilet.

The reports I'm hearing from the Microsoft faithful is utter loathing of Windows 8.

This is the first OS that Microsoft has released since Me I have no desire to buy - ever.

They will pry Windows 7 from my cold dead hands - or I will eventually migrate. The Apple transition started about 18 months ago (two devices now) and soon to be four.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: chilero One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156027 of 156991
Subject: Re: So Far Microsoft Surface Sales Are... Date: 11/12/2012 4:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
"Pacific Crest Securities analyst Brendan Barnicle on Sunday raised his estimates for Microsoft because of in-line sales for the Surface. Barnicle surveyed retailers in the U.S., Canada and Germany, about 75% of whom say Windows 8 is meeting expectations, while 25% said the computers are selling faster than expected."

"Cowen & Co. analysts Robert Stone and James Medvedeff said in a research note the new Windows 8 Surface tablet will likely "exploit new price/feature niches" and likely gain market share.

Only 21% of the 1,225 U.S. PC and Mac owning consumers were however planning to buy an new Windows 8 laptop, desktop or ultrabook computer in the next 18 months. They also found only 10% of consumers said Windows 8 is "not as cool as a Mac", likely equating to the 10% who actually own Apple computers, while 58% of current PC owners saying they did not want to adjust to the new interface."

From MSFT PR regarding the "modest" comment

“When asked about Surface, Steve’s use of the term “modest” was in relation to the company’s approach in ramping up supply and distribution of Surface with Windows RT, which has only been available via our online store and certain Microsoft retail stores in the U.S. While our approach has been modest, Steve notes the reception to the device has been “fantastic” which is why he also stated that “soon, it will be available in more countries and in more stores.”

I have no idea how the sales of the Surface are going but I would love to get some real numbers from MSFT. Maybe next quarter?

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156028 of 156991
Subject: Re: So Far Microsoft Surface Sales Are... Date: 11/12/2012 8:41 PM
Recommendations: 0
Link(s)?

>> about 75% of whom say Windows 8 is meeting expectations,

So... considering how pessimistic people have been about the Windows 8 launch you are suggesting it's been a pretty bad launch?

"Meeting Expectations" doesn't mean a whole lot to me and certainly doesn't sound like they are flying off the shelves.

It also contradicts other sources

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

... production of notebook computers this quarter is coming in “worse than expected,” perhaps flat with Q3's level versus a prior expectation for growth of 5% to 10% from Q3, confirming previous inquiries, and she notes, too, that her sources claim “recent [Microsoft (MSFT)] Win8 notebook order cancellations from OEMs as they revise downward views of holiday demand.”

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2012/11/12/pcs-note...

>>> I would love to get some real numbers from MSFT.

Me too!

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156029 of 156991
Subject: Re: So Far Microsoft Surface Sales Are... Date: 11/12/2012 9:28 PM
Recommendations: 1
And Ballmer has been euphoric about products that sold like crap before.

Interesting.

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156034 of 156991
Subject: Re: So Far Microsoft Surface Sales Are... Date: 11/13/2012 3:19 PM
Recommendations: 3
And Ballmer has been euphoric about products that sold like crap before.

Interesting.

Yup.

Here is the utterly puzzling thing for me. I was in Staples and I looked at every laptop they had, all but one running Windows 8. Not one, not even one that was $1399, not a single one with a touch screen.

Epic, epic, epic fail on the part of the OEMs.

And where the Hell is the much hoped for Kinect integration? Kinect in productivity would make interfaces like shown on CSI or Minority Report a pure 100% reality - and in the case of Minority Report - without the use of gloves.

Microsoft has all of the bits (no pun intended) to make something really ground breaking. The lessons learned from Surface (the $12,000 version of surface in the tables), plus Zune HD, plus Metro interace, plus the Zune music service (the software), plus XBox Live interface (damn elegant), plus Kinect, could all be pulled together into something truly ground breaking.

But as typical - the parts exist, Microsoft never seems to be able to put them together into a big ball of awesomeness. Instead they are fractured pieces of also ran and not quite good enough.

Author: rationalwalk Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156035 of 156991
Subject: Re: So Far Microsoft Surface Sales Are... Date: 11/13/2012 3:32 PM
Recommendations: 2
But as typical - the parts exist, Microsoft never seems to be able to put them together into a big ball of awesomeness.

Which begs the question of whether Microsoft should have been split up many years ago into smaller and more nimble operating units. A stand-alone business division, for example, would have long ago developed Word and Excel apps for iOS and Android but Microsoft wants to keep those differentiators as an incentive for consumers to choose Surface (and thereby protect Windows). In the process of trying to protect Windows, Microsoft may effectively be providing competitors facing the Office "moat" with a convenient draw bridge. Just a thought.

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156037 of 156991
Subject: Re: So Far Microsoft Surface Sales Are... Date: 11/13/2012 6:56 PM
Which begs the question of whether Microsoft should have been split up many years ago into smaller and more nimble operating units. A stand-alone business division, for example, would have long ago developed Word and Excel apps for iOS and Android but Microsoft wants to keep those differentiators as an incentive for consumers to choose Surface (and thereby protect Windows). In the process of trying to protect Windows, Microsoft may effectively be providing competitors facing the Office "moat" with a convenient draw bridge. Just a thought.

And a damn good thought. The number one selling OSX third-party software is...Microsoft Office.

Microsoft Office Onenote for iOS is pure awesomeness.

I will play Devil's Advocate for a moment - how do you think Apple would feel about an iOS version of MS Outlook. I think Apple would position it as somewhere between over our dead bodies, and how dare you not use our provided interface.

Excel and PowerPoint would have to be reduced versions, not all the functionality is going to be elegant in a touch screen. I think Word could be darn powerful. The above mentioned OneNote already exists. Lync also seems like it would be a no-brainer. Microsoft announced they are shooting Messenger in the head and replacing it with Skype.

But I have to agree - a stand alone company making Office would have long ago supported Android in at least some flavors, iOS and probably Linux by now.

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156039 of 156991
Subject: Re: So Far Microsoft Surface Sales Are... Date: 11/13/2012 9:28 PM
>>> Microsoft has all of the bits (no pun intended) to make something really ground breaking. <<<

A friend of mine worked as a contractor on Microsoft Kinect. At the time he said they had huge ideas about where to take the product and what it could do. He left Microsoft shortly after Kinect shipped and he's still frustrated that it got turned into an overblown game controller.

He talked about tons of really cool Microsoft R&D products, apparently there are a lot of things that go through MS development that never see the light of day or are just simply not interesting from a marketing perspective. Lots of money spent developing products that are never sellable or put to inefficient use. The original 'Surface' is another good example.

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156040 of 156991
Subject: Re: So Far Microsoft Surface Sales Are... Date: 11/14/2012 8:38 AM
"He talked about tons of really cool Microsoft R&D products, apparently there are a lot of things that go through MS development that never see the light of day or are just simply not interesting from a marketing perspective"

Kinect is largely based off PrimeSense's technology and a friend of mine is very good friends with PrimeSenses's founder and the inventor. FWIR they're pleased (and wealthy) now that the tech has gotten so much distribution via MS & specifically Xbox initiatives - it's been huge. It also seems to be popular at the MIT media lab (1 block from MS's New England Research center) for different application from handicap assist to kiosks but in terms of personal computing I'm not so sure it scales as easily to the scope of a near field UI - even attempts at lensing the system to work closer aren't to the 3 foot or less range though I haven't kept up with all of this.

Yes, engineers/developers, as well as laypeople, can come up with interesting ideas but ultimately with few exceptions we're at the mercy of business plans and marketing. When not military or aerospace pushing such a thing it's often university spinoffs or other small entities that will find a way to expose the more interesting applications of 3d gesture UI's. To that point there are commercial Kinect development kits now (they were promoting them in Boston at the embedded sys show that I was at, and so was MS - w/lots of Kinect promos & teardowns etc, in Sept 2011). Commercial dev with Kinect is far from dead:
http://www.microsoft.com/bizspark/kinectaccelerator/
B

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156041 of 156991
Subject: Re: So Far Microsoft Surface Sales Are... Date: 11/14/2012 12:43 PM
I will play Devil's Advocate for a moment - how do you think Apple would feel about an iOS version of MS Outlook. I think Apple would position it as somewhere between over our dead bodies, and how dare you not use our provided interface.

I don't see why.

A) They already allow third-party replacements of their apps (they didn't at first, but relented)
B) It could encourage even wider corporate adoption of the iPhone.

I'm not really seeing a reason Apple would have an issue with it -- as long as they could still allow users to integrate with Exchange in the existing mail app.

dsbrady

Author: TheCrusader Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156043 of 156991
Subject: Re: So Far Microsoft Surface Sales Are... Date: 11/15/2012 9:43 AM
I have also seem reports that one third of PC users are going to migrate to Mac's....

Well that is absolute fantasy at current price points.

Nevertheless what have MS reslly done with Win 8 - replace the start menu.. thats it really, god I am sick of the Windows start menu.

As M46 pointed out epic fails from the OEM's cannot even get touch screen laptops out to market... perhaps they didn't know Win 8 was coming.

Then again how many times have we seen OEMS both h/ware and s/ware take ages to take advantage of new technologies..everyone craps on about how good XP is, they seem to forget the years it took OEM's to get drivers out there, plus that was the version with all the security gaps.

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156046 of 156991
Subject: Re: So Far Microsoft Surface Sales Are... Date: 11/15/2012 12:53 PM
"Nevertheless what have MS reslly done with Win 8 - replace the start menu.. thats it really, god I am sick of the Windows start menu."

Can't tell if that's a criticism for not doing enough or just a really weak justification for wanting Win8.

"As M46 pointed out epic fails from the OEM's cannot even get touch screen laptops out to market... perhaps they didn't know Win 8 was coming."

If the later what you think then that's arguably MS's epic fail too.

"Then again how many times have we seen OEMS both h/ware and s/ware take ages to take advantage of new technologies.."

More often than they get forced, by obsolescence, into selling systems hinging on an OS that uderdelivers what promised earlier by MS. It's hard to sell turnkey experience deliveruing hardware with a new OS when the OS isn't optimized nor driver freindly to the point that MS's own managment is b*tching about it internally.
B

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156047 of 156991
Subject: Re: So Far Microsoft Surface Sales Are... Date: 11/15/2012 2:42 PM
>> I have also seem reports that one third of PC users are going to migrate to Mac's.... <<<

Apple's market share has been slowly creeping up as individual consumers have been moving to Macs for some time.

Years ago, Microsoft started catering to Dell/ HP/ Lenova, and to IT departments. So long as the end-users are tied to the platform dictated by their IT department, they are 'captive' users so Microsoft owns them for the time being.

As more companies adopt more liberal policies about what computers employees can use, it's a big problem.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement