Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121147  
Subject: Re: Tax Issues on Inherited Annutiy Date: 4/27/2013 10:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
So given I have traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs and now an inherited IRA, I have to figure out somehow how much of this is taxable? And will that percentage change as I continue to add money to IRAs? The IRS won't just accept our considering the RMDs from the inherited IRA as fully taxable?

Let's take a deep breath. Now, calmly, separate all these into inherited in one pile and non-inherited in the other. During everything that follows, we're dealing only with the inherited. If I understand your situation, these are the only things you're receiving distributions from. Your other accounts are totally separate and don't affect any of this.

On your 2012 Form 8606 you deal with establishing the after-tax "basis" of your inherited IRA. In doing so you combine all of the inherited IRAs, regardless of how many accounts there are. As I understand it, you rolled the one inherited annuity into an inherited IRA, so the only thing we're talking about at this point is inherited IRAs.

You cannot make contributions to inherited IRAs. You can move/consolidate accounts, but always making sure that they're properly titled as inherited with a reference to the decedent. Each year your RMD is based on the prior year's ending balance and your age at the end of the current year. You may take the RMD from any account or combination of accounts you please. Each year you will complete Form 8606, Part I to determine the taxable amount of the distribution.

I hope this clears it up for you, but holler back if not, and especially if I've made any incorrect assumptions.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement