Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
So how do I do this so my refund is smaller next year?

You go through the worksheet on the W-4. You're getting such a large refund because you're not taking into account your itemized deductions, the child care credit, and the child tax credit. The additional allowances that the worksheet will lead you to will reduce your refund to a reasonable amount or leave you with a small balance due.

I'm told there are also online W-4 calculators at and the IRS site, but I haven't used either of them.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.