Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19372  
Subject: Re: spending in retirement Date: 9/29/2005 6:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
So, I did all the things that cost money.

Now, I need to find things that don't.

I'm not retired yet, but I'm looking forward to it -- perhaps/probably next year. I'm in New York City and note that you're in New York. City or State?

Some of the things I'm looking forward to are: Birding in Central Park, on Long Island and in New Jersey. Audobon, Sierra Club and Nature Conservancy (and many other organizations) have birding and hiking (free or nominal charge) and beach clean-ups. Jamaica Wildlife Refuge in Brooklyn is interesting at any season, but especially during migration.

The New York Public Library has all kinds of free events such as concerts and readings and exhibits at 42nd Street and Lincoln Center.

Barnes and Noble and Borders have lots of interesting readings - I look forward to attending a few of them. Perhaps I'll also get involved with the Jane Austen society again.

I'm also considering the possibility of cat sitting as an extra source of money for "luxuries" -- A retired neighbor of mine has been so successful at dog walking and cat sitting that she pays for all her ballet, opera, music, theater tickets (not an insignificant expense) plus a couple of trips a year, her day-to-day expenses and all or part of her rent with the income (yes, she reports all of it and deducts her medical and long term care insurance premiums). That's turning something you love into a money-making proposition.

I'm also hoping to usher for theater, dance and music events. For most venues part time ushers are booked through the union and this would be another avenue for turning something I love into a job. It wouldn't be a lot of money, but it sounds to me like a lot of fun and very interesting.

I think that instead of brunch or lunch with friends, I'll do tea or coffee most of the time. It's the talk that makes it fun, not necessarily the food.

Add a daily workout and volunteer work (the nature of which is yet to be determined) and a few hundred dollars a year to spend at street fairs and flea markets. Sounds good to me!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Should You Be an Index Investor?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement