Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
So I have a long term gain of around 3500 dollars and a short term loss of around 2400 dollars. What will my tax consequences be for the year 2000 if I sell these stocks and put the money into a new home?

You will have a net capital gain of $1,100 taxable at long term rates of 20% or $220 in taxes just for the gain. I would assume that the new home will generate a higher home mortgage deduction for you and might offset this taxable gain in additional itemized deductions.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.