Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (121) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bdhinton Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 195645  
Subject: Re: Heaven is real Date: 10/12/2012 2:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
So, if all I want from a god is my prayers answered, that makes me a pretty lousy worshipper.

And if I do all my good actions without giving god a thought at all, then I am certainly not considering faith in that thought process either.

I'd say it is not a good place to end up in, but it might be a great place to start.

Consider some of Jesus' appeals to people to believe. He often appealed to selfish motives (all quotes New Living Translation):

"Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest" (Mat 11:28, NLT);

"If you only knew the gift God has for you and who you are speaking to, you would ask me, and I would give you living water" (John 4:10, NLT);

"And what about the eighteen people who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them? Were they the worst sinners in Jerusalem? No, and I tell you again that unless you repent, you will perish, too." (Luke 13:4-5, NLT)

"Salvation" is repeatedly described as a "gift" from God. Something God wants you to have. So I don't think it is wrong to want to receive a gift. Selfish? If you kept it to yourself, maybe it would be.

People came to Jesus all the time because of what they hoped he'd do for them. And he honored their faith, and accepted them where they were.

We love God, because he first loved us. That is the natural order. After we believe, receive, and live in what he has done for us, then our motives naturally change. Then a person can do things for others and for God because she appreciates whats been done for her.

-Bryan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (121) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement