Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: IKan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63836  
Subject: So if the FOOL losing out Date: 1/14/2013 9:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
With the much reduced activity on the FOOL boards is it a sign that it is losing out to the ever popular other public avenues like Twitter, Facebook, blogs......

How much longer will the FOOL be relevant and of use to investors in general?

Just a morning's wonderings.

IKan
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63188 of 63836
Subject: Re: So if the FOOL losing out Date: 1/14/2013 8:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Frankly, I don't know. I wish it was still going strong. I think the community here is, in general, smarter, friendlier, and more positive. Unfortunately, while it used to be a large thriving community now I would guess (well certainly here) it's more a bunch of guys chatting around a few beers (without the beers to boot!).

It's still the first place I come in the morning when I load up my browser.

Simon, who just doesn't seem to have much to say lately....

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63189 of 63836
Subject: Re: So if the FOOL losing out Date: 1/14/2013 8:56 PM
There are a few very active boards that people have all gravitated to. To find them look under "Boards"/"Best of". I hang out on METaR and Mining and Metals for the most part. Some of the others get pretty wild at times.

There are some less active boards but still interesting.

Tim

Author: IKan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63190 of 63836
Subject: Re: So if the FOOL losing out Date: 1/14/2013 10:09 PM
I also visit the Energy & Utilities, Mining & Metals, and Oil & Gas boards.

IKan

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63191 of 63836
Subject: Re: So if the FOOL losing out Date: 1/15/2013 11:43 AM
I also visit the Energy & Utilities, Mining & Metals, and Oil & Gas boards.

IKan

I gave up on Energy & Utilities some months back as it was dominated by one rather rude and obnoxious troll and a half dozen people arguing with him. I haven't even looked at oil & gas for a couple of years now but can't remember why.

Tim

Author: jesting2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63192 of 63836
Subject: Re: So if the FOOL losing out Date: 1/15/2013 1:56 PM
Recommendations: 7
Greetings Fools,

I arrived here about 12 years ago. At the time I had just retired and had pulled my investments from a full service investment company that was not performing to my expectations. I had a pretty good idea of how to get where I wanted to go, but was searching for some investing ideas for individual investments and portfolio management. This was the best thing I found and is still better than most others I have come across. And the technical construction of the forum is second to none.

When I first signed up, I was a lot more active as I went about rebuilding my portfolio and educating myself. About five years ago, I had pretty much decided what I wanted my portfolio to look like and how I would manage my investments. My portfolio can best best described as "Long Tern Buy & Hold" with a 75/25% Equity/FI weighting and an emphasis on income production. As such, I seldom make any trades apart from re-balancing, and I tend to let my winners run. This means that I am no longer really looking for stock ideas and my portfolio is running better than I expected so why tamper with it. I also found that posts I made no longer seemed to generate the same interest so I took that to mean that board members were not interested in the same things I was. Which all boils down to me being less active here.

The other thing that I have noticed here, is that those who are posting rend to be focusing on a narrow segment of the market and many of the companies discussed are of little interest to me. Another reason for me to be less active.

I still check in regularly to see if there is anything interesting going on and will dip my oar in the water if I think I can contribute in a worthwhile manner. I would like to see this group more active and would be sad to see it go. Is TMF being supplanted by the likes of Facebook & Twitter? I hardly see anything investing related on Facebook that is worth reading. And how in depth could any discussion be on Twitter with its posting limits?

I think TMF has a future, but only if it remains relevant to the folks how use it. Since that depends upon all of us, we will decide.

Bob

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63193 of 63836
Subject: Re: So if the FOOL losing out Date: 1/15/2013 3:01 PM
My portfolio can best best described as "Long Tern Buy & Hold" with a 75/25% Equity/FI weighting and an emphasis on income production.

Bob

Mine could be described as 100/0% Equity/FI weighting and 75%/25% income production vs. wild ass guesses. }};-D

I credit the lack of FI with receiving sufficient income from federal government indexed pensions (4) to live on and no debt.

The other thing that I have noticed here, is that those who are posting rend to be focusing on a narrow segment of the market and many of the companies discussed are of little interest to me. Another reason for me to be less active.

Clearly this cries out for you to kick off threads that do interest you and we'll see if others want to chip in?

Perhaps I could try Xposting interesting threads from METaR but a lot of it is USian tax whines and insulting the government, bankers, HFTs, the EU, China, Texans, Californians and trying to sneak in comments on banned subjects (including politics and personal insults). I do try to get energy included and there are some others including shipping and housing that I find interesting.

Tim

Author: IKan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63198 of 63836
Subject: Re: So if the FOOL losing out Date: 1/15/2013 11:12 PM
Recommendations: 1
Mine could be described as 100/0% Equity/FI weighting and 75%/25% income production vs. wild ass guesses. }};-D

Similar to mine.

My guesses are based primarily on some technicals that I have learned and tweaked. They have worked for me +90% of the time. The hardest part I find is being patient and waiting for everything to line up. As the saying goes, “Action is not necessarily production (productive)”. I made that up! :) Lol.
I learned that with these technicals the price does not matter. Note I am not a daytrader.
I have the buy fairly well figured out as for the timing and safety. I know a slow pitch. But often I still sell too early. More effort is required to improve for which I feel no real rush.

Back over the years since 2008/2009 I see so many stock on the TSX & NYSE that have gone up approximately 4 - 8 times & more and these could have been realized by simply buying and sitting back and watching.
They are dominant well run companies that should continue going forward no matter where the economy and governments take us. Many dividend paying also which is a bonus.

With regards to U.S. stocks I am always concerned about the currency exchange and what that could do to the returns if/when the U.S. $ craps out because the U.S. is broke and unwilling to work towards rectifying this. As such I have missed manny opportunities in the U.S. market.

Based on history I still believe there is a major correction in the not too distant future.

IKan

Author: RockyMountainMan Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63204 of 63836
Subject: Re: So if the FOOL losing out Date: 1/16/2013 2:05 PM
A lot of the discussions have been driven to the pay boards.

When I first came around here all was free and the individual stock boards were vibrant (and so was this one). Now the Fool covers so many stocks there is likely a pay board set up that has a lot of conversation within. With that, the TMF staff spend most their time posting and answering questions in there.

RMM

Author: IKan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63213 of 63836
Subject: Re: So if the FOOL losing out Date: 1/17/2013 5:28 PM
A lot of the discussions have been driven to the pay boards.

Fortunately I have come to learn that the easiest and most consistently profitable way to financial success is to avoid most news, speculation and paid for services. Keep it simple. The info needed is easily obtained online.

Taking a step back and doing my own thing is both rewarding and independent which is of insurmountable value.

They simply are not required and not of as much value as they suggest.

Study history! Humans are always involved so they will repeat. Century after century.

IKan

Author: carver1963 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63215 of 63836
Subject: Re: So if the FOOL losing out Date: 1/17/2013 8:33 PM
I should probably contribute more because I do "like" most of the people who do take the time to post here. I've been here since 2003 and suffered through the horticulture episode (sheepishly admits to losing money on that idiocy) and annoyed many of you with my incessant postings about IRD.

I own and would probably buy more of most of these:

Bank of Nova Scotia (I apologize, Tim.) I would buy more below $48
Precision Below 7
Encana Below 18
Cenovous Below 26
Trans-Canada Below 40
Brookfield BAM.A Below $30
Brookfield BIP (Top 5) Below $30
Imax Below $10 :-)
Canadian Oil Sands Below $18
CNR Below $86

Author: carver1963 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63216 of 63836
Subject: Re: So if the FOOL losing out Date: 1/17/2013 8:36 PM
Stupid fingers, I wasn't finished....

Potash Corp (Top 5)
Suncor Below $28
Perpetual

Author: IKan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63217 of 63836
Subject: Re: So if the FOOL losing out Date: 1/17/2013 8:46 PM
Stupid fingers, I wasn't finished....

Best post of the year so far!!

Good to hear from you. I also have been sporadic on my visiting.

IKan

Author: carver1963 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63218 of 63836
Subject: Re: So if the FOOL losing out Date: 1/17/2013 8:46 PM
Recommendations: 2
It happened again :-( Getting embarassing

Vermillion Below $44
Cameco Below $18
IRD

I own many more names outside of Canada because I tend to buy and rarely sell and I want to be truly de-worsified. OTOH, some of the names have turned out very well, both in Canada and abroad.

Probably due to a combination of my subscription to a newsletter and taking trials in others and pure dumb luck. I am financially illiterate mostly and would therefore consider myself a blend between value and growth investor. Who insists on kind of doing it himself but is too busy with other things to truly devote any time to it.

Hey it's $$ I don't really need anyway and I'd rather just turn it all over to my kids to sort out.

carver

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement