Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: ThyPeace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 45138  
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/10/2012 8:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
So if you can't convince the victim to protect himself or herself, sometimes you can work with them through love, to protect the abuser from further abuse that worsens the self-hatred and guilt. It is a terrible and frightening journey for everyone involved. But sometimes it actually works.

That's a pretty delicate dance. You need to be careful not to reinforce the abusers assertion that the victim is responsible for being abused. Or that if they would just be a better person, the abuser wouldn't have to hit them.

You're so right about that. I should have said two more things. The first is that if you can get the victim to get professional help, that is always by far the very best option.

The second is that when you talk to someone about it, you have to convince them that the thing that must do out of love is to remove themselves from the abuser's reach so that the abuser can no longer do harm -- that this is the greatest act of love that they can give the abuser, and that it must stand until the abuser can get treatment. All to prevent further harm, all out of love.

In the years that I studied this stuff, I learned about love, lust, attachment, addiction, abuse, marriage, divorce, and a lot about people in general. The very best part was learning a little about compassion, which has been truly remarkable. Compassion is so powerful, and so necessary, and so very hard to do, and yet so amazing. It brought me some peace in the middle of complete chaos, and allowed me to help people whom I otherwise would not have been able to help.

ThyPeace, has much more to learn about being compassionate. It's a lifelong study.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement