No. of Recommendations: 0
So is QFC which is based in Bellevue. Most of the same brands as Freddy's.
Print the post Back To Top
Safeway gives a 10% off grocery purchase coupon. I usually plan a stock up shopping trip of more expensive stuff right after my flu shot.
Safeway gives a 10% off grocery purchase coupon.

Cool! Nothing like that here (SC). Other drug stores don't even have the small deal available at target.
Medicare, Medicaid, and "Obamacare" policies fully pay the cost of flu shots.

Our CVS@target offers a $5 target gift card for getting a flu shot there.

Sounds like insurance fraud to me -- the $5 "rebate" should be going to the insurance company, since they are the one paying the bill.

As I recall, there a similar case many years ago based on auto repairs? I think in that case, they were giving "rebates" to people getting their cars repaired, based on what they got (were able to get?) from the insurance company. So if I needed a fender replaced, where would I go -- the guy that charges my insurance company $500, or the guy that pays me $90 and charges the insurance company $900? And wasn't there an issue with offering $150 in free steaks if you got your windshield replaced?

I did find this:

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/west/2017/01/24/439892....

The insurance industry tried and failed last year to get the Legislature to ban rebates to consumers from auto glass companies and put in place other new regulations.

It didn't say what the "new regulations" were...
No. of Recommendations: 3
Safeway gives a 10% off grocery purchase coupon.

I'd need more than 10% off to pay Safeway prices...

For example, they charge $6.59 for a pint of Halo Top ice cream. Regular price at Fry's is $5.49. Only $4.64 at Walmart (rollback right now to $3.88). Recently paid $2.99 at Fry's during a sale. I've seen reports of 4-packs at CostCo for $11.89.

Or, 12-oz Green Giant Rice Cauliflower: Safeway ($4.49), Fry's ($2.99), Walmart ($2.48).

I think I'd need 30 to 50% off? :)
Safeway here is pretty comparable to the other places I shop and is within walking distance of home. We don't have a Fry's (are they Kroger?) and Walmart is too far away.
Just in passing, you can get a senior discount at Publix grocery -
but not related to flu shots.

Loss leaders tend to be the draws at most grocery stores - unless there is a
storm on the horizon.
Safeway here is pretty comparable to the other places I shop and is within walking distance of home. We don't have a Fry's (are they Kroger?) and Walmart is too far away.

Yes, Fry's is part of Kroger. We also have Albertson's, which is part of Safeway. But we also have Safeway stores.

I have four grocery stores within a mile of where I live (Fry's, Walmart, Albertson's, Trader Joe's). Maybe twenty or so within three miles, including repeats.

IIRC, both Albertson's and Fry's have 10% senior discounts, and Fry's has 10% off for everyone on the first Wednesday of the month.
Just in passing, you can get a senior discount at Publix grocery -
but not related to flu shots.

Yep, I take my mom to Publix every Wednesday--5% off the entire bill on senior discount Wednesday.

I also shop at target (esp for organic cream and eggs, almond milk, avocados, onions, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower and cauliflower rice, coffee beans, 86% cacao bars, almond butter, Rotel)--5% off everything with my target card.

Also a discount with my Harris teeter card (forget the amount--usually best local prices on Chinese vegetables like bok choy and pea pods, fennel bulb, leeks, shallots, frozen Michael Angelo's eggplant parmesan--my favorite emergency rations).

And I do some shopping at Costco (disant so not often--I usually go when I need to fill the gas tank as they have the cheapest gas around here, also good prices on organic meats, fish, wine, some produce).

And Whole Foods (for sale items and things I can't get elsewhere like fresh bulk nuts, bison, full-fat plain Greek yogurt).

Not to mention the farmer's market (pricy & no discounts, but incredible quality, esp fresh greens--plus live music!)
I have four grocery stores within a mile of where I live.

I used to have that coverage, but 3 of the 4 have closed that location, and I moved. I do most of my shopping at Fred Meyer (also part of Kroger) which is a couple miles from home and also use their fuel points at their gas station which is the best price even without the point discount. Costco gas might be cheaper, but they aren't convenient and always have long lines. Safeway is about 6 blocks and Albertsons is about a mile but not a direction I normally travel, so I don't stop there often. Freddy's has senior discount the first Tuesday of the month and another smaller local chain similar to Trader Joes has a 10% senior discount every Wednesday.
Fred Meyer (also part of Kroger)

Interesting, I didn't know Fred Meyer was owned by Kroger. We shop at Fred Meyer when we are in Oregon or Idaho.
So is QFC which is based in Bellevue. Most of the same brands as Freddy's.
Walgreen's does flu shots too. With my health insurance there was no co-pay at all.
If you live in New York, New Jersey, or Arkansas, don't get too excited about the gift-card offer. It's not legal in those states.
My company charges $30 for the convenience of getting flu shots on site. They're $20 at a local pharmacy (Walgreen's I think). I get mine for free as part of my annual checkup.

A cubicle mate Emailed the person who sent out the company-wide Email, asking why it cost more than both the other alternatives. The answer was "convenience to the employees"
No. of Recommendations: 1
That stinks, my company offers no cost flu shots on site.

The Drake
Advertisement