UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75781  
Subject: Re: Big Problems wth LongTermCare Insurance Date: 7/12/2013 3:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
So let's say they have $1M, and one spouse has an ongoing need for LTC. At $300/day for 5 years, their ~$500,000 policy is exhausted, so they have to pay themselves.
They use 500K of their 1M for the next 5 years, leaving them with 500K.

This is the confusion.

Partnership allows you to either protect a specific amount, in this case 500k, from spend down or the entire amount. In your example, the policy would pay out 500k, then you would have to spend down to 500k left in assets before Medicaid would step in.

If you had the state min for Total Protection, once the policy lapsed, all assets would be protected.

To me, that's a big kicker. Even though your assets are "protected" the ill spouse doesn't get to stay in the nice full-service facility. They must go into a (low level of service) Medicaid facility.
Perhaps they aren't all hell-holes, but the ones I've personally seen are pretty close.

I'm not championing Medicaid facilities. I am also not as concerned about the person in the facility (who may not have their full mental capacity) as I am about the person that remains at home and otherwise might have to significantly sacrifice their standard of living.

In otherwords, I see LTC as a means to insure the standard of living for the healthy spouse, not for the sick spouse. There is very little reason for an individual (vs. a couple) to get LTC unless they have dependants or they are determined to pass assets to heirs (and there are likely better ways to do that).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement