Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 12/22/2005 8:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Well, I am officially retired today. So far, so good!

cliff
Print the post Back To Top
Author: theHedgehog Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10263 of 19483
Subject: Re: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 12/22/2005 8:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

cliff

Gulp is right. It's scary stuff to know that whatever you did to prepare, that's it.

good luck!

Hedge

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10264 of 19483
Subject: Re: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 12/22/2005 8:34 PM
Recommendations: 1

Gonna remember that you are retired when you wake up in the morning? Got you day planned? (Or planned for you?) :-)

Ted, retired for ten years and wondering how I ever found time for employment.

('Course a blankety blank computer problem has taken nearly two days out of my retirement, but it's fixed now.)

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10265 of 19483
Subject: Re: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 12/22/2005 8:59 PM
Cool! Congratulations! Just breathe in, breathe out, and give away your alarm clock. The grass really is greener on this side of the fence-- 'course, it still needs to be mowed ;-)

=alstro, retired 4 months ago and still smiling

Author: Capcon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10266 of 19483
Subject: Re: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 12/22/2005 9:25 PM
Congrats, Cliff. Now get ready for the Most Annoying Question:

"You're retired? What are you doing?"

The correct answer is, of course, "Whatever I want."

Enjoy

Cap

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10267 of 19483
Subject: Re: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 12/22/2005 10:38 PM
Good for you, Cliff!

And you really will find that after a while you'll find you really have no spare time to do anything!

I've been retired 16 years now and my days magically fill themselves with things which need to be done, so I find myself budgeting my time very carefully.

One of these days, I'll budget in another trip to the West coast and visit "Bad Manors" again.

Enjoy your new time budgeting tasks.

Grumpy

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10268 of 19483
Subject: Re: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 12/23/2005 12:34 AM
If you're the type, as I am, who needs a little structure to feel comfortable, I recommend going back to school.

--fleg, retirement in 2000, BA in Spanish 2003

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10269 of 19483
Subject: Re: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 12/23/2005 5:41 AM
Congratulations! Don't worry, you'll get used to it very fast.

We've been retired for 10 years or so, and you should see our calendar! I'm looking for a bigger one, as the little boxes aren't near big enough to put in all the events and appointments.

Too bad so many of the calendar's entries are dentist and doctor appointments. But there are plenty of fun things on there, too.

If you're married, I hope your wife can stand you around the house. As I'm always saying to DH, "I married you for better or for worse, but not for lunch."

Trini

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10270 of 19483
Subject: Re: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 12/23/2005 5:56 AM
If you run out of hobbies, here's an idea just posted on the humor board:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23466149

Trini

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10271 of 19483
Subject: Re: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 12/23/2005 8:16 AM
On December 31, I'll complete my sixth full year out of the rat race. I loved it on the day I announced my departure, on the day of departure, and every day since. Congrats.

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10272 of 19483
Subject: Re: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 12/23/2005 8:40 AM
I'm a couple weeks short of my 6th retirement anniversary. Despite having to adjust spending a little to compensate for a crappy financial market, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Kind of a weird feeling that first morning when I got up and realized it wasn't just a day off - I would never have to go to work again. I got over that quickly and have never looked back. Where did I ever find time to work???

Have fun and good luck!

Author: GringoFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10273 of 19483
Subject: Re: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 12/23/2005 9:41 AM
Congratulations and welcome to the club.

G.F.

Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10274 of 19483
Subject: Re: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 12/23/2005 10:02 AM
I'm coming up on two years but feel like I came into retirement by the back door and then left by the side door.

My job was eliminated in 6/2003 and I looked for other work and collected unemployment and did temp work and a seasonal job until 4/2004 when I decided that I might as well start drawing Social Security. In 6/2004 I was able to file a new claim for unemployment and ended up taking a part-time (20 hours a week) job in 10/2004. Then I worked the seasonal job again the first of this year. I like the structure of working part time and the freedom to work at something I like without feeling like I have to bring in a certain income level.

So, I'm retired from the standpoint that I am collecting Social Security, but I am working part time earning about a 25% of what I was making before the layoff. I have a couple things I'm doing that are income generating, but no where near the stress that was involved in working full time.

Like others have said, there aren't enough hours in the day to do all the things I'd like to do.

Author: familyceo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10276 of 19483
Subject: Re: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 12/23/2005 11:22 AM
Excellent!! Now remember to pace yourself and enjoy life!!!

ceo

Author: ImAGolfer Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10280 of 19483
Subject: Re: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 12/23/2005 1:20 PM

cliff

Hey Cliff. Very good. Congratulations!!! Retirement is the only way to fly. The only problem I've run into so far is I'm pooped out by the time the weekend rolls around. Lots of golf. There is no way I could fit a 40 hour work week into my schedule. Enjoy your new found freedom.

Regards,

ImAGolfer (retired '03)

Author: PDCAcycle Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10286 of 19483
Subject: Re: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 1/4/2006 7:29 PM
Best of luck Cliff,
I flunked retirement, after two weeks as a retired person, I got an offer for "part time" work as a quality management systems consultant and am enjoying partial retirement.
I'm convinced that in todays job market it takes a committment to stay retired. So many opportunities so little time!

regards,

The PDCA cycle works in all phases of life.

Author: Nats43 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10295 of 19483
Subject: Re: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 1/11/2006 6:30 PM
Way to go, Cliff!

I kinda backed into retirement. What do you call a consultant with no more clients? Retired. After a long while with no new clients, my DW suggested that I save advertising and marketing costs by retiring. Why didn't I think of that?

She retires in March. Then we'll see whether I can take having HER around all day. :-)

Nats

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10296 of 19483
Subject: Re: So <gulp> this is retirement Date: 1/11/2006 8:21 PM
Recommendations: 6
My forgetter's getting better,
But my rememberer is broke
To you that may seem funny
But, to me, that is no joke

For when I'm "here" I'm wondering
If I really should be "there"
And, when I try to think it through,
I haven't got a prayer!

Oft times I walk into a room,
Say "what am I here for?"
I wrack my brain, but all in vain!
A zero, is my score.

At times I put something away
Where it is safe, but, Gee!
The person it is safest from
Is, generally, me!

When shopping I may see someone,
Say! "Hi" and have a chat,
Then, when the person walks away
I ask myself, "who was that?"

Yes, my forgetter's getting better
While my rememberer is broke,
And it's driving me plumb crazy
And that isn't any joke.

CAN YOU RELATE???

cliff

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement