Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: BladeXrunners One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121189  
Subject: Re: Underpayment of estimated tax Date: 10/27/1999 11:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
So picky, edcosoft. We're saying the same thing, I think. I did say the example was contrite--all I was trying to show was that although the tax year liability may be low, you may still owe penalty.

To be more precise (see my first post):
1) If your current tax liability minus your withholding is less than $1,000, then you don't have to file estimated tax, hence no penalty.

2) Otherwise, if there is income source other than your regular withholding job, you may have to file estimated tax.
You can file estimated tax by 4 options:
a) Pay one-lump sum on April 15
b) Pay in equal installment
c) Pay in unequal installment
d) Pay in unequal installment using the annualized income

3) If you pay in one-lump sum or in equal installment, you may add the estimated tax to your withholding to calculate your safe harbor (90% of this year tax or 100%/105% of last year tax). Otherwise, only withholding are used to calculate your safe harbor. If you don't reach the safe harbor, you owe penalty (the penalty is a simple interest of the amount underpaid for the length of time it was underpaid).

To calculate the penalty, you choose either #2c or #2d, whichever give the lower figure for underpayment of estimated tax, hence a lower penalty.

In other word, if someone have a huge capital gain in May & June, then a huge loss in December, and that person failed to pay estimated tax, then that person will owe penalty unless #1 or #2a/#2b happened and that person reached the safe harbor.

Yes, my contrite example isn't accurate. Decrease the capital loss on Dec 31 so that more than $1,000 is owed. Then #1 is satisfied and the safe harbor is reach because there's no withholding. Then the rest follow.

All I'm trying to say is that if you have capital gain, then you need to fill out the estimated tax when the gain occur. If you wait too long, you may owe penalty if you don't meet certain condition (e.g. the amount of tax owed or reaching safe harbor). If you do owe penalty, then use whatever method which give the lower penalty. Edcosoft, -- I might not be as clear as you, but I think we're trying to say the same thing, non?!?!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Back to the Future Buffalo Wild Wings
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement