Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121567  
Subject: Re: Tax Rates and Holding Periods Date: 9/16/1998 11:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
[[So... please point me to that answer (so that I can point the NEXT questioner to the right place)
and/or consider adding a few words to the older explanations of the 1997 rulings to make it clear
that the long-term hold rate is again 12 months+ .]]

Danny...sorry for the confusion.

The original discussion of the 1997 capital gains tax changes are discussed at: http://fool.com/school/taxes/taxes33.htm

BUT…the changes to the capital gains holding periods that took place in 1998 can be found at: http://fool.com/School/Taxes/1998/taxes980724.htm
That is where you'll find the confirmation of the new 12 month holding period.

I'm sorry that the original post regarding the 1997 changes has still not been updated. I'm going through each and every post and FAQ right now to try and update them to reflect the changes made by the 1998 legislation. This will be the first one that I will deal with and hope to get out of editing.

Remember also that there is an "archives" sub-area in the Taxes FAQ area (http://fool.com/School/Taxes/1998/Taxes1998.htm) that will answer many of your questions.

I'm going to update my "closing" this weekend to reflect some of the new hiding places for some of the Taxes FAQ issues. That might help in the future.

I know that this is cumbersome, and I'm trying to get HQ to re-design the tax area. But these things do take time. Again, in the meantime, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience of trying to link (or even find) some of the answers. And also accept my thanks for helping out as much as you do in the folder.

TMF Taxes
Roy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement