Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11198  
Subject: Re: Eleven-year anniversary Date: 3/12/2009 10:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
So she whose knowledge of the differential pressure cleaning apparatus (vacuum cleaner to you techno-dummies) is non-existent is back? That's great. I suppose it's too much to expect that Barb has gone to the Weesuck Institute of Differential Pressure Cleaning Apparati to master a new skill. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

This is actually my first post at TMF since election night. Hmm. Lessee what's gone on since I made my first post here lo those many years ago.

I retired in 2001. Actually, I was laid off and decided to make a career change by joining the leisure class. So far, it seems to be working out and I've found that every time I'm tempted to backslide and rejoin the workforce, that lying down until the temptation disappears works wonders.

The downturn has hit my IRA pretty hard. It's down pretty close to 50%. That kinda hurts. Fortunately, we have other assets to draw on although those are down, also. Right now my goal is to avoid touching IRA principal until I absolutely have to. I signed up for Social Security when I hit 62 last year and that certainly has helped. Mrs Churchy also has a teacher's pension. That forms a pretty solid base. We have cut back our spending somewhat, but we weren't big spenders to begin with.

In the last 8 years, I have acquired 4 grandchildren, 3 of which are shown here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/andrechapelon/kids039...

Left to right are Kai, 3, Lyra, 4, and Alyssa, who just turned 8.

The 4th is Parker, shown here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/andrechapelon/8570747...

It's kinda hard to believe, but my elder stepson turns 40 in July and my daughter turns 35 in September. I'm starting to feel old. Fortunately, that feeling is at least partially offset by the glee I feel when one of the kids complains about how hard it is to raise kids. Grandchildren truly are a parent's revenge.

Churchy - who was Wadaphooliam back then
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement