Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
So, the bottom line is that since I paid too much state tax and got a refund, the feds consider this income, is that right?

If you itemized on your 2000 tax return and deducted state taxes, yes. If you took the standard deduction on your 2000 tax return, NO!

And, now I have to go through Turbo Tax and figure out where to enter the refund amount. I assume it would be somewhere in the income section?

I would think so. I'm not a TurboTax user so I'm afraid I can't help there.

And yes, I am confused!

I'm sorry. I know that's not helpful, but I am.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.