UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: 2old4bs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35345  
Subject: Re: Inflation Numbers Date: 1/19/2006 10:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
So the October buyers get 1% + 5.75% (approx) for Oct - Mar, and then they would (currently) get 0% for Apr - Sep. The November buyers get exactly the same, but for Nov - Apr followed by May - Oct. Clear?

Not quite. The October buyers get 1.2% + 3.58% for a total of 4.78% for Oct - Mar, then get 1.2% + 5.72% for Apr - Sep. Whereas the November buyers got a 1% fixed rate, not 1.2%, so they're not getting exactly the same (the fixed rate changed in Nov).

That's why several of us chose to buy in October, rather than November. You were guaranteed 4.78% for the first six months, and 6.92% for the next six months. If the inflation rate results in a 0% rate for the third six month period, we can simply hold for 3 more months, then cash in.

I'll leave it to the math whizzes (which I definitely am not) to calculate what the actual APY would be when held for 15 months. (I suspect it's somewhere around 4.75%--not bad for the pre-tax equivalent of a 15 month CD)

These various scenarious were discussed back in October in this thread:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23200241&sort=whole

2old
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement