Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58635  
Subject: Re: Belviq likely to be covered by ObamaCare Date: 11/29/2012 1:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
So there's no free lunch--you have to change your lifestyle anyway--so why not just do that to begin with and skip the pills along with their no-doubt myriad of potential risks....

True up to a point.....but if it was that easy, there wouldn't be an ongoing *Fighting Fat* forum in the first place.....it'd be a *Fought and Won* collective.

WRT the weightloss drugs, though, it's a bit like everything else that folk take medication for. The trade-offs are supposed to be weighed (so to speak) ahead of time.

The BMIs mentioned in the marketing literature are bordering on pathologic WRT all the sequelae of being that overweight (yeah, I know that all those dudes on college football teams'd be in this category but everyone knows that's not representative of the demographic.....or they ought to) so, the risk:benefit decision comes down to how bad is it to be so overweight vs. the potential side effects of medication that might help someone who hasn't been able to hack it on their own.

My husband is part of the liver transplant team up here at Harvard......his take is that the next biggest demographic waiting around for someone to die and free up a liver (my words, not his!) is going to be the folk who develop a crapped out liver due to obesity related fatty liver disease. I reckon pills that work (side effects included) might be a better trade off.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement