No. of Recommendations: 2
So, to avoid probate, should the accounts be in both their names or one name with the other as beneficiary?

To avoid probate, the assets should be JTWROS. Those assets will pass outside of probate, though they are still considered part of the taxable estate.

If your mother will have to worry about things like estate taxes, then she should speak with an estate planning attorney and learn about things like trusts. When there are estate tax issues, it can make sense to create and fund trusts to preserve the lifetime exemption of both spouses so that when the remainder passes to the children, there will be fewer estate taxes due.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.