Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
So, we had a quasi discussion a few months back....

https://boards.fool.com/clinic-or-fleecery-32981891.aspx?sor...

....manifestly of zero interest on this board but for a handful of peeps (tells you something)

Not moi I was intrigued by the cultural differences of how come folk seek out these *alternative* clinics and their so called therapies.

Not for nothing, I mentioned Lillian Board on that thread and the Josef Issel's clinic and hinted at bogus remedies that can only be described as *fleecery*
Print the post Back To Top
Amazon just let me know that More harm etc...is on the way.

Spendthrift that I am, I included the homeopathy book that Amazon also promoted. Nitwittery that it may be, it's a part of medical history that deserves a place in rational understanding.

Historical anecdote (because my husband is now an Elder Statesman/BOF with how things were) When he was doing his re-reg. house jobs, his surgery consultant *had hours* at the Royal Homeopathic Hospital in Queen's Square. I'm reasonably sure that the recent history (post WWII) is a bit like, say, LIJ NY Presbertwria etc. Like, for instance with surgery..... how much does water help??
Colour me impatient, but I cannot wait for my new books to arrive. With time on my buttocks right now, I've been tooling around some of my fave web sites and came up with this....http://www.badscience.net/2007/11/a-kind-of-magic/#more-578.... from **Ben Goldacre** from The Olden Days (check the date of posting) The Grauniad article this was based upon is easily accessible on my cell phone (and much easier to read)but not on my real computer. No clue about that anomoly.

Needs to be read in full. There's everything anyone needs to know about evidence and how it does......or, more likely, does not......affect decision making.

**...anyone who's been frequenting this board and is not a Paroxysmal PLOINKER will have seen this info before.

*** Read this book ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bad-Science-Ben-Goldacre/dp/0007284...
Thanks, VeeEnn. Added to my list. Also a few more on the Amazon page look interesting--

Being Mortal: Illness, Medicine and What Matters in the End (Wellcome) Paperback – by Atul Gawande
Bad Pharma: How Medicine is Broken, and How We Can Fix It Paperback – Ben Goldacre
I think I've mentioned these two before...... many times over.

Bad Pharma is a follow on from his Bad Science book...... where he uses the sort of nitwittery you can read about in the popular press.... detoxing, homeopathy etc....as a run up to the more serious critical thinking skills necessary for evaluating claims from the pharmaceutical industry.

Atul Gawande's book is a bit more philosophical/culturally based. Totally appropriate to this thread given what you should do when there's nothing you can do. FWIW.....dh and I have quite different takes on this conundrum. Probably just as well no one listens to me (or Gawande) on end of life issues
FWIW..... and depending upon how you view these reads..... Gawande's book is a thought provoker, but a def library get. A good enough read...

You can afford to squander a few $$$bucks in the various Goldacre offerings. Got acquainted with his style in my early awakenings to Science By Press Release and his early forays into medical journalism.

The difference between the two is probably down to me..... I want to keep my critical thinking skills alive and challenged rather than be comforted by an opinion close to mine
" appears to address the moral, ethical and legal ramifications of selling worthless nostrums to vulnerable, sick people."

OK vee, let me get this perfectly straight.

I was clear that legal options with big buildings that have been around for a while are out there. I did not say to ignore your doctor.

If I get this straight you are saying, if the doctor says your not curable you should go home and die without even thinking of an alternative. Because there isn't one period. You are a fool to waste money on anything but what the md says.

Is this correct?

Chris
If I get this straight you are saying, if the doctor says your not curable you should go home and die without even thinking of an alternative. Because there isn't one period. You are a fool to waste money on anything but what the md says.

Is this correct?

Short answer: No!

Longer answer: Noo!!.

Longer answer yet: Really NOOO!! Your Straw Man has it wrong and you didn't get it straight. What I was saying is no more than the snippet you reproduced.....but, given the context, I reckon I was saying even less

Anyhoo, reading the blurb on Amazon, this appears to address the moral, ethical and legal ramifications of selling worthless nostrums to vulnerable, sick people. Obviously, can't express an opinion..... not having formed one yet.... but it looks like it'd be a thought provoking read by someone *in the know*
So, we had a quasi discussion a few months back....

https://boards.fool.com/clinic-or-fleecery-32981891.aspx?sor...

....manifestly of zero interest on this board but for a handful of peeps (tells you something)

Not moi I was intrigued by the cultural differences of how come folk seek out these *alternative* clinics and their so called therapies.

Not for nothing, I mentioned Lillian Board on that thread and the Josef Issel's clinic and hinted at bogus remedies that can only be described as *fleecery*
Advertisement