Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 124982  
Subject: Re: gifting stock to stay below Roth limit Date: 12/14/2000 8:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
So, what I'm thinking of doing is gifting the 200 shares to my fiancee, who can then sell them immediately and pay the long-term capital gains tax on it. She's not in a lower bracket, but at least she doesn't need to stay under any limit. It's a little over $10,000, but I can just sell enough to get it under that and stay beneath the IRA limit.

From what I've read at the IRS site and on the FAQs here, this should be fine. Anyone know if I'm missing anything, or if I have a better alternative?

Looks fine to me, and I can't think of an alternative that would prevent the AGI problem and keep the money in the (potential) family.

On that subject, a little early wedding present. Since it sounds like you're both making decent money, remember that you will be considered married for the entire tax year in which you marry. Sit down at the beginning of that year and figure out what you should do about your withholding for the entire year. That way you can avoid an unpleasant marriage penalty surprise when you file that year's return.

Phil Marti
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.