Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
So who here actually has done genetic testing?

My wife and I did the simpler Jewish disease testing a few years ago. I think this blood test screen for four or five genetic disease markers. As I understand it, screening for all 40 (or whatever the article said) diseases is very difficult because of differences in the genetic forms of these diseases.

My wife got pretty upset with me for wanting to find out this information (especially as we had one child already), but strangely enough, her OB/GYN (who is not Jewish) said that I had a good point and encouraged the testing. Fortunately, we both tested negative. (The negative outcome is almost easier for me because I am half Sephardic and half Ashkenazi.)

I have always wanted to get the more detailed DNA test, but somehow it has never been a "budgeted" item. Hmmm, another reason to make money in the markets, just to afford this sort of thing.

Ron
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement