Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ron1934 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19322  
Subject: Social Securities Inequities Date: 4/5/2000 9:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
At age 57 I retired and quit making Social Security payments. If I had continued as a self employed, the next five years would have drained another $40,000 into the system and given me only $40 more per month benefit.

I have no earned income but even investment income serves to increase tax on social security benefits. Even tax exempt bonds, that are immune from income tax is computed to reduce social security benefits.

The Gentlemen writing on Thithing (giving 10% or more to their religious group) perked a long time prejudice. A church two blocks from me (many thousand members) accepted a tithe of $13,000 from one of it's contractor members. Thing was, this man had declared bankruptcy. This meant he had no earnings on which to tithe and the $13,000 was taken from funds earmarked to the court to be distributed to creditors. The church sued and won. I view the creditors as the tithers in that case. And shame on that church.

My point is this: When people want to tithe (and enter this piously elite group) they often do it with creative giving. There is an amazing rationale takes place. Is it net, gross, after 401K, after tuition for kids.

When you consider what the tithe was used for in biblical times, you will find the majority of those things are covered under programs that each contribute to...however so reluctantly. Most of us have 30 to 40% confiscated for the benevolence of others.

Lets say you have your tithing figured out and feel great about it. Now, who do you give it to? My National Church is so left wing liberal, I could as well just send it directly to the liberal left of the Democratic Party.

I suggest you take the tithe one step further. Pick the person (Missionary you know, believe in and trust) or place that you have unwavering confidence in. Scholorships and Kids...that is where it is.

The Rocket
with all the fuel gone
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement