Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
When a business withholds social security on employees beginning in January and then gets bought out by another company (but no change in employees) who has a new ID#, can the payroll department beginning say in February give credit to each employee for amount withheld in January by the old company or must it start at zero for purposes of determining the maximum SS withholding for the year? Some employee salaries will far exceed the maximum amount of earnings subject to SS tax. Obviously, if they are not granted credit, some employees will have over withheld SS taxes that will have to be returned when they file next year.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.