UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: phearn Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75335  
Subject: Social Security Date: 10/19/1998 11:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Al
Are you saying, if I am 62 in the year 2006 that I will
have to accept reduced benefits. My birthdate was long before 59.
Phil.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6106 of 75335
Subject: Re: Social Security Date: 10/19/1998 11:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
phearn,

The answer is yes. More precisely, your benefit (adjusted for inflation which is another issue) at age 62 in 2006 will be less than a person electing to take Social Security in 1999 at age 62, with the same income history. You can read about the details at www.ssa.gov which I find very helpful. Also, there's a good synopsis in the World Almanac and Book of Facts. I've got the 1997 edition and it starts on p. 708 there.

Don't take it all that personally, it's demographics.

Author: CashKingAl Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6111 of 75335
Subject: Re: Social Security Date: 10/20/1998 8:09 AM
<>

Phil,

You were born in 1944. That makes your SSNRA (Social Security Normal Retirement Age) 66. In any case you can't get full benefits at age 65 unless you were born in 1937 or before.

You can wait until you are 66 to take full benefits, or you can retire at 65 and have benefits reduced by 1/15 (6.67%). Your choice.

Al

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement