Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Is there a SS board at the Fool? Or any recommendations for a site where I can calculate the various permutations (filing at various ages, younger working spouse, etc.)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mara
Print the post Back To Top
Have you tried just calling Social Security with those questions? Not being a wise guy (!), but sometimes you can do best by going to the source.

We did that years ago, and the SS people were forthright and honest.

Good luck!

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 1
You might want to start here:

http://www.ssa.gov/estimator/

Donna
Thanks,Vermonter. I did call there first but only got recordings. When I requested a human being, I was told they were all better and I should call back later. I will, of course, but thought I might check out other sources.
Thanks, Donna.

I did check out the estimator but it does not go into the weird permutations I have....spousal benefits when spouse is younger, impact on different ages hiring, etc.

I will continue looking through the SS site, of course.
Have you tried scheduling an appointment with your local SS office in person? Might be a good idea.

Vermonter
Yes, although I couldn't get through. Will try again. I get mixed feedback, though, about the quality of the info. Will continue to collect data online as well.

Thanks for your thought.
We're getting a 3.6% raise January 1. Good news!

Vermonter
In addition, most of us will see a decrease in the Part B premium.

Hooray!!!

Donna
We will see an INCREASE in our Part B premium, but only a nominal $3 or so apiece. (We're retired and Social Security provides most of our income.)

Vermonter
RT, since I no longer have the income from the mortgage I hold on a home in Florida (am in the midst of taking the property back via Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure), and having to re-roof the house before selling it again, I am living almost solely on SS myself. Right now, I am not collecting dividends and do not wish to until I am at least 70. Fortunately, I get an additional $200 - $300 per month for performing title updates and helping attorneys out with their real estate closing packages.

Like you, any little amount of increase in income matters these days.

Donna
Have you two considered starting your own board ? This one does sound like old guys in the balcony on the Muppets and while it hasn't been active, it has a purpose and hasn't been abandoned.
No. of Recommendations: 2
reallyalldone, what is your contribution to "aging optimistically?"

Donna
Donna:

You have an advantage: You sound wise enough to pay attention to what's happening, and then plan accordingly. Too many folks, sadly, seem oblivious!

Good luck to you.

Vermonter
Well, I had to plunge over $2,000 for an attorney and to pay the 2011 property taxes on the Florida house. But, c'est la vie.

All bad things shall pass, as long as we have a little nest egg.

By the way, this year, we went to Indiana and Florida. Hopefully, in 2013, we will head up your way, if I can convince my friends. Elaine has never been to New England, and I so want her to see that area of the country. It is sooooooo beautiful.

Where will you be traveling this year. I know you went to Maine...will you two be going again?

Donna (who LOVES to travel)
See the beginning. I started it with a purpose and would like it to continue that way.
Not sure where else we will go, but we've already reserved our beloved cottage in Maine for a week!

Enjoy your travels.

VErmonter
I checked the beginning and don't see how any of the recent threads vary from the objective. People were talking happily about their retirement and sharing information with someone about to become retired. If that doesn't suit the board, then the objective needs clarification.
Advertisement