Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
What kind of mistake(s) can a person make when applying that would make him ineligible for social security for 2 or more years, given that he is at least 67 years old?

I volunteer at the local library in their computer lab. On Friday, 2 men came in and asked for help to set up a web-based fundraiser for one of the men. He lost his house to a fire a couple weeks ago and they wanted to do some kind of on-line fundraiser. While talking to them, the friend said that the homeless man (well living in a motel paid for by the American Red Cross for another week or so)had made a mistake when applying for SS and that he could not apply again for another 2 years. Are these types of mistakes real?

I doubt several other things they told me, so I wanted to find out if this part is true.

Barbara
Print the post Back To Top
I'm no SS expert, but, I can't imagine any action that would force a two year delay in application for someone 67 or older. Continue doubting.

Bob
What kind of mistake(s) can a person make when applying that would make him ineligible for social security for 2 or more years, given that he is at least 67 years old?

A criminal mistake? That is the only thing I can think of right now.
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1224/~/h...

had made a mistake when applying for SS and that he could not apply again for another 2 years. Are these types of mistakes real?

I doubt several other things they told me, so I wanted to find out if this part is true.

I am on social security disability. Applications for social security disability can be denied, but you can appeal the denial, or reapply. I don't know if there is any type of mandatory waiting period to either appeal, or reapply, but my assumption is there is no such waiting period.
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10041.html
http://www.keefelaw.com/library/should-you-appeal-or-reapply...

At best, I assume these two men may not understand what they have been doing, or the processes they need to go through to apply for various types of assistance. They may lack either administrative or mental competence to file applications, or understand any instructions or explanations of benefits (or denials) they have received.

At worst, there may be some sort of malicious intent, or deception. If you have some concerns, or they are trying to get you to help them in areas you are not comfortable, or willing, I suggest talking to an appropriate person at the library staff about it.

And an aside, thanks for doing volunteer work at your local library.

Lois Carmen D.
Many illegal aliens use borrowed SS numbers when asked. That can mean fouled up records.

You can also suspect that this individual lacks the 40 quarters of contributions needed to qualify for benefits.
The web-based fundraiser has all my alarm bells ringing. Sounds like they could be using a public computer to setup a scam. I would at least check with the local police department. Not sure the size of your community but where I live the police can easily investigate without embarrassing a legitimate person and also steer them to aid if necessary. Works that way in small communities but maybe not in large cities.

Like others I never heard of a 2 year restriction on re-applying if it was only a mistake in the paperwork. Might be such a restriction if a disability claim was rejected.
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't ever heard of not being able to re-apply for certain time period. He said he was born in 1945, which would make him 67 so there must be something else going on.

They are not trying to set up a scam. I was unable to help them with anything more than getting the homeless man an email address and a Facebook page. I really had no idea how to set up a webpage for him that would be free and even if there was, how that would bring him money.

Barbara
No. of Recommendations: 2
Barbara:

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't ever heard of not being able to re-apply for certain time period. He said he was born in 1945, which would make him 67 so there must be something else going on.

They are not trying to set up a scam. I was unable to help them with anything more than getting the homeless man an email address and a Facebook page. I really had no idea how to set up a webpage for him that would be free and even if there was, how that would bring him money.

How do you KNOW they're "not trying to set up a scam"?

Yes, there's something else going on. As many have said, they need to simply go to the SS office and apply. I suspect the applicant is (sorry) too dumb, is unwilling to apply because he lacks the required 40 quarters of work, or has some kind of criminal background.

I'd watch them carefully. Sorry to sound so suspicious, but something seems "off" here.

Good luck. You ARE a kind person!

Merry Christmas!

Vermonter
Advertisement