Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Recently I replaced my 57 year old Social Security Card. The new one clearly says Do not laminate. Two Questions:

#1 Why?
#2 What is the downside/risk if I do laminate it?

Many years ago I did laminate my original card and it certainly seems to have survived and functioned.

Gordon
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Recently I replaced my 57 year old Social Security Card. The new one clearly says Do not laminate. Two Questions:

#1 Why?

Many years ago I did laminate my original card and it certainly seems to have survived and functioned.

According to the SSA:

Is it illegal to laminate your Social Security card?

No it is not illegal, but it’s best not to laminate your card. Laminated cards make it difficult, if not impossible, to detect important security features and an employer may refuse to accept it.

The Social Security Act requires the Commissioner of Social Security to issue cards that cannot be counterfeited. We incorporate many features that protect the card’s integrity. That includes highly specialized paper and printing techniques—some visible to the naked eye and some not. Further, we continue to actively explore and adopt new technologies that hamper duplication.

Ira
No. of Recommendations: 1

#1 Why?

All is revealed:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/624/~/la...

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
No. of Recommendations: 5
No it is not illegal, but it’s best not to laminate your card. Laminated cards make it difficult, if not impossible, to detect important security features and an employer may refuse to accept it.

Well, the SSA must have come a long way regarding their card security. I still have my original SS card which was issued in the "50's and it looks like it was typed on a vintage Olympia typewriter ;)

Rich
Arizona
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have never had an employer ask to see my Social Security card, they just asked me for my number. (I last started with a new employer in 1978 so things may have changed.) For years I carried it in my wallet, but finally realized that made no sense and put it away somewhere safe. I might even be able to find it if I looked long enough.

I get a laugh out of the places that sell aluminum SS cards, "perfect to carry in your wallet or purse for identification purposes".
I have never had an employer ask to see my Social Security card, they just asked me for my number.

Same here. But when I moved to DC in 1979 they wouldn't issue a driver's license without seeing it. That may have had something to do with the fact that they used the SSN for your license #.

I'm pretty sure that's the last time I saw mine.

Phil
I have never had an employer ask to see my Social Security card, they just asked me for my number.

It is an option. It was easier to just use my passport.
Rich I got my original card in 1956 and my name was also typed with a manual typewrite -- but I am going to vote for the Royal brand instead of Olympia. <VBG>
I got my original card in 1956 and my name was also typed with a manual typewrite

Back in the 70's I visited a friend who worked at SSA headquarters in Baltimore. Ah, the good old days of somewhat lax security. He took me to the area where numbers are assigned, and we found me handwritten in a journal type book which they used to assign numbers. I had gotten my number in the mid-60's (tax returns didn't require dependents' SSN's until much later).

Phil
Hey GWP,

Rich I got my original card in 1956 and my name was also typed with a manual typewrite -- but I am going to vote for the Royal brand instead of Olympia. <VBG>

Well, the more I think of it, you may be correct. Anything doing with the gubmint is usually a Royal (fill in the rest) (LOL)

Rich
Arizona
Are you sure your name and number weren't chiseled into a piece of stone, or perhaps scrawled onto a bit of wet clay? ;-)

--not signed, no sireee
No. of Recommendations: 5
Are you sure your name and number weren't chiseled into a piece of stone, or perhaps scrawled onto a bit of wet clay?

No, it was definitely papyrus.

Phil
Advertisement