No. of Recommendations: 5
Hey, Fools!

I ran across an interesting little problem the other day. I received "Your Social Security Statement" in the mail. It was totally unsolicited, and I nearly tossed it out, thinking it was someone pitching a new service, or something. Good thing I looked it over. They shorted me over $20,000 for 1996!

It turns out that my company was sold early that year, and we went into a holding company for several motnhs, then, after closing, went to the new owner. Today, upon further investigation, I realized that even though I'd received *three* W-2's that year, the SS (yikes!) only credited me for *two* of them!

I'll be on the phone first thing in the morning to get this straightened out.

I would urge you all to take a good look at the form (or go order one, if you didn't receive it), and take a good hard look at your yearly totals, especially if you had multiple W-2's in any single year.

And thanks be to this board! Man, if I hadn't learned to pay closer attention to these things, I would have completely missed it!

Just keep on Foolin' on!

mike
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Just so you all know, Social Security Admin has been sending unsolicited statements once a year for the last year or so. I think the schedule is to send it in the month of your birth. Everyone should see one this year. If you don't inquire about it.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Yes, this is completely new this year. Formerly they would only send you one if you requested it. But I *think* the schedule is a couple months *before* your birthday (don't quote me.)

It's a Good Thing that they are doing this - because checking one's statements is one of those things you're supposed to do but I doubt I would ever have gotten around to it on my own. My birthday is in December, so I'll have to wait a while longer to get my statement.
es, this is completely new this year. Formerly they would only send you one if you requested it. But I *think* the schedule is a
couple months *before* your birthday (don't quote me.)
========

When do they start doing this for people? When the recipient turns XX age? I thought I would have gotten one last year, but didn't. I guess I should be on the lookout for one coming soon, as my bday is also in Dec.

Anna
When do they start doing this for people? When the recipient turns XX age? I thought I would have gotten one last year, but didn't. I guess I should be on the lookout for one coming soon, as my bday is also in Dec.

I think they started sending out statements to everybody last year, and the statement is supposed to arrive 3 months before your birthday (approximately). If you have not already received one, you should call Social Security to make sure that they have your address correct and request one. (You can request a statement at anytime, btw.)

You in particular should call if you've never seen a statement because your b'day month(Dec) is after mine (Sept) and I've received my second statement.

Shadowfen
When do they start doing this for people? When the recipient turns XX age? I thought I would have
gotten one last year, but didn't. I guess I should be on the lookout for one coming soon, as my bday is
also in Dec. </>

Hey, Anna!

Yesterday, while I was dealing with the SSA on the phone, she told me that the agency's goal is to start supplying everyone with a report every one or two years (she wasn't sure which). The program is still in it's infancy, so it may take awhile before everyone starts receiving these on a regular basis.

Also, my birthday is in November, so if they're co-relating it to birthdays, I'm not sure why my report came in August.

You can call to request a report, or go to the website.

1-800-772-1213.

http://www.ssa.gov

Hope this helps!

- mike

Hey, thanks all for the information. I should receive a statement in September, and if I don't I'll call. I guess I wouldn't have gotten one last year, as they said they started the program in October (for those born in Jan, I suspect).

Anna
Hey, thanks all for the information. I should receive a statement in September, and if I don't I'll call. I guess I wouldn't have gotten one last year, as they said they started the program in October (for those born in Jan, I suspect).

Anna

I think there's an age they start at also. I don't remember what it is but I remember thinking when I first heard about it that I wasn't going to get one yet because I was only 23 at the time. Maybe the start age was 25? I'm not sure...

I went ahead and requested one because I am curious to see that it is correct..

sjfans
I don't know about the age but I didn't get my first one until I was 25. 'Got it last July which is 3 months before my birthday (October). Sounds about right.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Advertisement