Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Social Security payments are always paid in arrears. If you received a check in September, the payment was for the month of August.

When you talked with the Social Security representative over the phone, you must have indicated that you wanted your benefits to start in August.

I recall my phone conversation with a Social Security representative after I filed my claim 90-days before I wanted to start receiving my benefits. I had a heck of a time convincing her that I really wanted my benefit to start in February 2013. She kept trying to sell me on the idea of setting the start date of my benefit 6 months earlier and then having it start immediately.

I was going to retire and receive my final check from my employer in January 2013. In addition to my normal pay that check included payments for banked vacation and holidays that I couldn't take due to work requirements. So I didn't have any need to receive a Social Security benefit check in February.

In addition, I celebrated my 68th birthday on 15 January 2013. It didn't make sense to me why I should want to reduce my monthly benefit by having my benefits start before February.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement