No. of Recommendations: 0
My friend died last week. She wae 59, so it seems she will not be collecting any social security. Can her husband collect on her social security account when he is 62? I think his earnings were much less than hers.

cliff
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
cliff666 asks,

My friend died last week. She wae 59, so it seems she will not be collecting any social security. Can her husband collect on her social security account when he is 62? I think his earnings were much less than hers.

Yes. He can collect on his own earnings record, or as a survivor on his wife's earnings record, whichever yields the higher monthly Social Security benefit.

intercst
No. of Recommendations: 1
Survivors can collect the greater of their own SS benefit or that of their deceased spouse, but not both.

Yes. He can collect on his own earnings record, or as a survivor on his wife's earnings record, whichever yields the higher monthly Social Security benefit.

intercst

Thanks. That's why this board is a fave.

cliff
....Can her husband collect on her social security account when he is 62?....

Actually he can start taking reduced survivor benefits as early as age 60, not 62.

http://www.ssa.gov/survivorchartred.htm

I don’t understand how it works but it also sounds like he could take reduced survivor benefits early, then when he reached his normal retirement age he could switch over to his benefits, it is not clear to me if his benefits would be reduced depending on if starts taking then at 60, 62, or older.

Greg
Cliff -

Be careful -

It depends.

It depends on what type of a job, meaning who the employer of your friends husband is. (or was) If you friends husband is covered under a government pension, then the answer may be NO under a Government Pension Offset.

http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/gpo.htm

My Mom died at 54, and Dad worked for and then retired from the local City. - No SS benfits for him! Even though Mom paid in all her life.

d(SSN)/dT
As always, your friend should call or contact the Social Security Administration directly. They'll tell her the facts.

Vermonter
Advertisement